Chapter Thirty one**

Warning: reference to drugs. Abusive behaviour

Juliette has an idle hour between a studio rehearsal and a dress fitting. She gifted me that time on the steps of the UCLA grand hall.

Right now, we're kissing in the foyer between the practice rooms. Her lips feel like home. I keep my mouth closed, praying she doesn't taste the sanguineous tang on my tongue. It's not enough. Hers circle my lips, slipping into me. I grant her entrance like an afterthought. After a minute of battle, she parts from me only to latch onto my neck. I sigh happily. The euphoria of her mouth is a good distraction.

"When were you going to t-tell m-me?"

My girlfriend grins into the nook of my collarbone.

"I wanted to surprise you. I feel like I've been so busy. I don't want you to think I'm too busy for you."

I pull away from her suspiciously. An ulterior motive pinks the atmosphere. I hate how easily I can read the girl. I want to believe she's here for me.

Finally, her expression changes.

"I shouldn't have agreed to the interview."

Jules looks apologetic at least. That counts for something. She stepped over a line. A line she's been dancing on for months. An unspoken agreement keeping the groove firm and deep in the sand.

Never speak about last year.

"I didn't mean to. He was asking so many questions and not the ones we agreed on-"

Rumours about  a nervous breakdown have begun to circulate. It is not far enough from the truth.

"It doesn't matter." I avert my eyes.

Jules sighs.

"I wish you would've come with me. Morello is so angry." Juliette seems so small in her black dress.

"Anyway, I have a peace offering." She quirks her eyebrow.

Between two painted fingers, she is holding a small plastic bag filled with white powder.

I am tempted to take it. It's commonplace to play music high. It refines the senses. At least, that's what we tell ourselves.

I notice how her cheekbones protrude under two very sunken eyes. I must look like that too.

"No, thank you." I say despite the lure. Juliette, never taking no for an answer, slips the pouch into my pocket.

"You'll thank me." She winks.

"You look like shit, Jules."

She laughs.

"You got out, Max. I don't have that privilege. I don't have the parents you have. I'm not brave enough to leave the Academy."

"I know what you think,"

Her brown eyes shine curiously.

"What do I think?"

"You think I lost on purpose."

Juliette stills in my sights. Her face lifts up to meet mine, eyes burrowing into every line of my expression, scanning every fleck in my iris.

"I tried my hardest to beat you and I didn't."

I lean against her much too powdered forehead and smile.

"I won't be making that mistake again."

We laugh like maniacs. People stop to stare at us. Still, we snort and scream in each other's company and for a blissful moment, I love her.