Final note and character profiles

Falling for Ocean Blue is officially completed!

Flipping that button to 'complete' was the most fun I've had all week.

I wanted to thank you all for being wonderful people. Thank you to those who made the time to vote on the chapters, leave a comment or message me privately. I love interacting with you!

I've had fun writing a YA story. Every single person in this novel is a flawed character. I don't like perfect tropes.

Max sucks at times and that's okay. You're supposed to hate him when he threatens to out Fray or when he lies so easily about breaking up with Juliette. His character is a symptom of his life. The story follows him through a journey he's planned for a while. He's learning to enjoy his life and he has his friends and family to help him along the way.

Fray is young, dumb and in love. He's on the fringe of other people's drama. Max's bipolar, his mother's marriage...etc. Lowkey, I think I made Fray a little too manic pixie daydream. He competes against Austin and tries hard to break into his own self. He's got an inferiority complex which makes him the perfect observer. I think him and Soren make good friends.

Juliette is another version of Max. She's very early into the 'prodigy' era where she believes perfection is worth sacrifice. She loves Max in a co-dependent way, and without him, Juliette will have to learn to be her own self.

Soren is the big brother who raised his siblings as best as he could. He isn't as image-obsessed as his mother, but the perfect family trope is something he pushes onto Max and Kitty from time to time. He is someone I wish I wrote more for and the one deserving of his own story. I fully was going to make him and Juliette end-game, but I felt like I couldn't redeem her in time.

I know Max and Kitty's relationship is less visible here, but that was on purpose. Kitty is considerably younger than the other characters. She's naive and self-obsessed but not in a bad way. I love Kitty. She does her best as the peacemaker and understands that she will never fully understand her brother. I think she already idolises Soren, so Max is more of a friend to her. She's secretly vey responsible and independent.

I'll probably start editing and reworking some scenes later in the year. I want to expand on the side characters more and maybe write spin-offs with them as MC. I notice you all loved the soccer match chapters, so I'll add some similar scenes as bonus chapters.

Again, thank you so so soooo much for being here! I love you all and I'm grateful to have had a year doing something I enjoy.

Best wishes!

-M