Chapter Forty one

Bird's song is different here. A light lull that captures the first seconds of morning in a sweet embrace. His arms are around me. Warm skin and the faint scent of chlorine ingrain in my memory. The bedsheets are over washed and over starched. A faded blue, rough against our skin. Open windows invite the song into our cool room. His room. The smallest and most remote cabinet room with storage boxes stacked in one corner and a film of dust on all the furniture. I love it here.

He stirs behind me. I hold my breath as his weight shifts over me. He nuzzles into the nook of my neck, breathing deep. I bite my bottom lip to stop a sigh escaping.

"Good morning."

His breath tickles my ear.

"Morning." I whisper.

Fray stretches wide, pulling away, giving me space to turn to him. I am awe-struck. The golden boy is effortlessly gorgeous so early in the day. Dishevelled hair, fanned across his tanned temple. His eyes are bright in a wash of blue. I count the freckles dusted along his slight nose. In the sun, they've darkened into a plum bronze. I pick out my favourite.

"I haven't slept that good in weeks," He smiles conspicuously like we share an unspoken secret.

"Must be the heat..."

"Must be."

"What do you want to do today?" He asks in a gruff crescendo.

I shrug lazily. I have little energy when I wake, too little to expend on thoughts outside of this bedroom.

"We could go to the beach..." Fray thinks aloud, leaving his voice trailing into ellipses.

"I think the others are going into the city today..."

"Perfect."

I smile.

"We should go too."

Fray groans.

"It's impossible to get you alone."

I place a small kiss on the button of his nose. The corner of his eyes crinkle as he shuts them tight.

My phone screams from the bedside table. The forlorn ringing sends it jolting towards the edge. Fray gives me a pointed look. Hesitantly, I reach for it and click it shut.

"Aren't you going to answer it?"

I shake my head and bury it deeper into the drawer. When I turn, he's on his knees and slouched across the Queen bed. Fray leans into me, pushing me further off the bed. I stand to take his weight. Nose touching, I inhale the unmistakeable fragrance of peppermint. He must have woken earlier to brush his teeth.

"I don't mind if it's her, you know." He whispers it so delicately, I'm afraid the words might blow away.

This close, I can feel the rattle of his breath. I commit every slope of his features to memory.

"It's not." And I'm sure that is not a lie. Jules is resourceful, she'd have changed tactics by now. I'm sure when I resurface, she'll find me again.

Fray sighs.

"It makes sense if she wants to talk to you. You broke up recently. It's okay if you're still in contact."

He seems so sure of himself. I trace the sharp edges of his chin. The line rises impossibly far into the soft lobe of both ears. His skin is taught across his jawline, swallowed by the high neck of his sweatshirt.

"You know I won't be this sympathetic if you're still talking to your ex." I sling both arms around his thick neck, drawing him closer still. His red mouth slants upwards, pulling his cheek into blushing halos.