Chapter Twelve ***

WARNING: mild sexual content ahead

I focus my attention on the quaint koi pond at the end of the garden.

I am acutely aware of the splashing water in the lake on the other side of the house. I decide to wander the property before returning to the party. I move away from the noise, entering the house through a kitchen door. The entire furnishing is woodsy and cosy. The utensils hang on metal hooks over a stove cooker and wooden detail on the marble countertops. A kitchen that would be the heart of the home. I enjoy every crevice of the room, soaking in the warm familial presence of every room.

The party rages on all the way here too, some kids are around a large keg of beer, encouraging their classmates with crass insults and colourful curses. I move around them, re-joining the large crowd in the main body of the house. I realise now that the screeching music is live, performed by four boys sloppily playing their instruments out of time. I rush up the stairs without so much as a passing glance at the sweaty band.

The dark second story is masked in haunting sexual tension. I don't pretend to be innocent. I know what goes on behind locked doors. I try to block out the sounds of lewd moans as I stagger further along the large hallway.

I test out the door handles one at a time, none of them push past the lock so I continue along until I find one that pushes all the way. Inside is a large guest bedroom, the walls are painted a dusty blue and the furniture match. I fall into the soft comforter, a lavender scent wafting in the fabric. I sigh happily. I relish this moment of solitude, my eyes skirting around the comforting space. The room is dimly lit by the streetlamps outside. My attention halts at a divot in the wall.

I sit up, legs hanging over the side of the bed. There is a door opposite me left open. I have to cock my head to the side to see the small stretch of corridor, that leads to an identical bedroom on the other side. Directly parallel to it is a queen-size bed curtained in pink sheets and throw pillows.

I hear the unmistakeable squeak of rusted springs underneath a mattress. A boy with wild curls and pale skin is sitting on the bed, his face is looking up at a stranger cast in shadow. From here, I see only his profile, a strong nose pointed high over two bruised lips. Wolfe. He stares up at the second figure, his entire body drawn up, lying in wait.

"We already talked about this."

"No one has to know." Desperation hangs on every syllable.

The silhouette chuckles darkly, "God, you're desperate... Did you drink?"

"Like it matters to you." Wolfe scoffs, "Aren't you f*cking Aubrey Wright?"

I know I should leave, right now. The twinge of guilt chilling my blood as I make to lift myself off the bed as quietly as possible. Wolfe's sexual pursuit is none of my concern, I decide, pushing my hands into the bed. The shift in weight makes it groan. I still.

The boy masked in darkness suddenly steps into the light. He stalks towards the smaller boy, lips sneering in distain.

"I'm getting bored of you, Wolfie. You wouldn't want that."

The atmosphere hardens. He dominates the shivering Wolfe, his body edging dangerously close. A glint of predatory lust gleams inside two ocean blue orbs

Wolfe takes this as a warning, his fingers clumsily fumble with a zipper before the larger man stops him.

"No, I don't have time for that."

"Then what?"

A deafening pause.

"Suck it."

I have to leave.

My mind is screaming at me to move, my palms sweat nervously. I get off the pale blue bed, uncaring of the sound I might make.

Wolfe is already leaning into his dominance. He unzips his pants with ease, like he's well-rehearsed in the art of pleasure. The eager boy has a hungry glint in his eyes, his aching hands grips onto something hidden.

"You've never been this hard. Is this what you want?"

"Shut up." He snaps at Wolfe.

I can't explain why I'm standing there, dumfounded, completely intruding someone's intimate moment. My palms itch desperately, my mind screams at me to walk away. Maybe it's the way my erection pulsates in my pants. It's possible I've always been a peeping creep, and this was my debut. It could be that I was the inexperienced virgin curious about the whole ordeal. Maybe it's the way Fray Anderson is staring directly at me, like I was his prey.

I catapult towards the door, throwing it open and leaving the way I came. My heart lurches 2 inches forward, bruising my ribs. I dart through the crowds, ignoring the dirty looks I'm getting as I shove undeserving bystanders in my way to the door. I hear someone call for me, my name echoes loudly over the music. My brain is burnt out. I feel someone grab my forearm but I'm already halfway down the porch.

I walk home alone.

*