Chapter Fifteen

At lunch, I narrowly avoid the crowd of students circling around me. News of my playing got around fast, so I'm loitering outside the cafeteria, caught in the midst of a mob.

"It's not fair! I wasn't there!"

"Max, play again. Won't you?"

"Max, you were awesome."

"So talented."

I try to smile kindly, my heart pumping adrenalin into my itching fingers. They reach out to touch me, hands clasping my arms blindly. I move through them, pushing the door open. Grace waves me over to her table. Minho and Peter already sat next to each other. I rush over to my friends, ignoring the cries of the masses.

"Quite popular, Maxence." Grace smirks. She slings an arm around my shoulders, we sit close. Peter gives me a look that makes me cringe.

"What were you playing?" Minho asks, he looks up from his novel. The black in his narrow eyes pierce me.

"An original." I lie easily.

"That's so awesome! It was incredible, you look so different when you play." Grace rubs circles in my back, she smiles a bright smile. I meet her eyes, the soft brown warming when I look into them.

"O oh." Peter grumbles, "Here we go again." His face distorts into a vapid hatred. The cafeteria stills. I give him a questioning look, but his eyes are trained solely in front of him, back turned to the chaos. Grace and Minho turn to the door, where everyone else is watching with keen interest. In the eye of the storm, two statuesque models stand with their limbs entwined. All attention revolves around the pair, the tables fall silent, eyes wide open. I watch too, keeping my head low and close to Grace's so as not to be noticed. She whispers something in my ear, it sounded something like 'white people drama'. I breathe out a stifled laugh, earning me a heated glare from the brooding redhead.

Aubrey Wright is dressed in her scant gym gear, untouched by last night's alcoholic endeavour. In fact, the slender girl seems taller than normal, a sense of power radiates in her pink smirk. She's enthralled by the attention, delicate arms wrapped around the tall boy with ocean-blue eyes.

"Stealing the girlfriend of your enemy brother, that's low." Grace whispers.

I nod, not really knowing what to do. The last I had seen of Fray Anderson was at the party, and Aubrey Wright was no concern of his.

I tear my attention from the couple to scan Soren's table. Austin is sat watching the scene unfurl, his canines exposed in a raging growl, his face downcast and ashen. Steven is wide-eyed and staring between the two, he enjoys a brawl. Their captain looks like he's at the brink of searing rage, he speaks mutely to his best friend. Whatever Soren is telling Austin falls on deaf ears. Fray throws a malice simper, his blue eyes darkening like thunder. He leads Aubrey to a table in the corner closest to the door leading out. The walls there are knocked down and replaced with glass, so that the outside spills in. A false seclusion. Despite his bored displacement, Fray Anderson enjoys the drama.

I try to discern the glower in Wolfe's pallid face. The boy sits paralysed in his seat. We are all paralysed, watching the handsome boy lean down, his arm draped around Aubrey's neck brings her closer and he lays a ravishing kiss on her tender lips.

Austin stands up abruptly. Minho takes in a wheezing breath, I hold mine, awaiting the storm. The two brothers stand their ground, scowling with their spines impossibly straight. Aubrey beams behind her concerned frown.

"Really, again?" Austin directs this to the beautiful blonde who shrugs.

"I'm sorry Austin. You should have thought about what I meant to you sooner." She gives him a small smile, and I have to believe it's genuine.