chapter one

IT WAS FIVE in the morning. she couldn't sleep. she'd had a restless night, tossing and turning in her bed. she sat up, frustrated with herself and everything around her.

sleep was a no go. so why not get the day started a little early?

she dragged herself out of bed and tied her wavy brown hair into a neat plait down her back. grabbing some warm socks and slipping them on, she left her room and began to tip toe down the stairs.

"you're up early" said a voice from the dark making her gasp.

there in the shadows was chris, her father's old school friend. he was visiting for a few weeks as his house was getting renovated. she wasn't sure why, his house was one of the most magnificent things she'd ever seen. she had visited it once when she was fifteen. he only lived next door so him moving in wasn't a biggie. he was around the house no more than he usually was.

chris had been close with her dad since their high school days. he drove her crazy. she wasn't sure what happened. when chris stopped being the man who would hoist her up over his head and run around the garden to make her feel like she was flying, to the man who elicits little sparks that eat at her stomach when he calls her darling. he was tall, the muscled sort, always reading and if not that then lying back with his tie loose, deep in thought. he was a quiet man, who's looks could kill.

she hated having such thoughts about him, he was a family friend, practically helped raise her.

there's a silence, then a shuffle noise as he stood up. she linked her hands together behind her back as he walked towards her.

"darling, you look exhausted. let me make you some coffee." he said with a sympathetic look on his face.

his hair had fallen over his eyes. he looked sweet.

realising she had been staring at him in silence, she hurriedly replied.

"thank you. that would be nice." she sat down at the breakfast table, looking down at the book that he had been reading before she had joined him.

"so what's got you up at this time?" he asked as he began to make her coffee.

"i couldn't sleep all night. you?" she said, bringing her knees up to her chest.

"me neither. if i'd known you were awake too i would have come up to see you. helped you get to sleep maybe." he said, turning around as the coffee brewed and staring down at her.

she smiled a little and rested her head on her knees. "will you read to me? once you're done with the coffee?" she asked quietly, almost hoping that he wouldn't hear.

he nodded, pleased that she was somewhat interested in his book.

"of course. here take this and we can go to the living room." he said, handing her the coffee in a large mug. she took it in both hands, not having been able to hold it in only one.

he walked out of the room, only stopping slightly to lift up the book. she followed, having to walk extra fast to catch up with his large steps. he was practically double the size of her, standing at 6'4 while she only stood at 5'0. he was muscular too, compared to her petite build.

he sat himself down comfortably on an armchair, patting his lap. she tilted her head and pointed at his lap for confirmation that he wanted her there.

"just come here, i've changed your nappies sweetheart." he ordered, his tone shifting slightly. she nodded and hurried over, perching herself on his lap.

he pulled her softly into his chest and opened his book, reading aloud to her, stroking her hair slightly as he did so.

she curled up into him, his low voice soothing her mind. she felt her eyelids get heavy and eventually gave into the urge to close them.

they used to do this all the time when she was a child, yet now it felt more intimate. she wished it didn't. everything about it felt wrong, but she wanted it so bad.

her thoughts were silenced as she drifted off to sleep, snoring quietly into his chest.

she soon felt her weight being lifted, she was being held bridal style.

she shifted slightly and whined as she felt herself being placed onto a soft surface.

"sh sh sh sh sh." he hushed, tucking her in and placing a light kiss on her forehead.

"stay." she mumbled, rubbing her eyes lightly.

but he was already gone.

a/n
chris just makes me feel some sorta way dude. also!!! feel free to vision this character as anyone you want, the character descriptions are only fictional so u can interpret it in any way you like!! <3