epilogue

"there's things i wanna say to you, but i'll just let you live."

A YEAR LATER

she had only waited two months before she started sleeping around. "hot girl autumn." one of her new friends had said. she loved new york. she hated it at first, hating the noise, the cold, the subway, and most of all hating the fact that chris was gone.

but as she started to make new friends, and discover the hotspots, it soon became one of her favorite places on earth.

it was her first day of college and she was buzzing. she had friends going whom she adored and the campus was barely a 10 minute walk from her apartment which she and her dad lived in.

it was 8:30 am and she was already dressed up in an oversized white turtleneck and a short black skirt. her hair was in a long braid down her back with a white headband resting on the top of her head. her father was already at work so she grabbed her house keys and her coffee flask and headed out.

the walk was close to perfect, the sun almost blinding her, the sweet sound of the busy streets of new york blessing her ears.

she arrived at her first lecture ten minutes early. it was the subject she was most excited about. english literature. students soon started to arrive, including a few of her friends who were taking the same course. they chattered happily among themselves about the summer and the year ahead.

they soon all sat down as the lecture hall was already unlocked. she sat at the front with a few of her friends.

as soon as it struck 9 am she heard the door open and turned around to take a look at her professor.

her heart plummeted into her stomach and her hand gripped the bottom of her sweater.

he hadn't aged a day. the same hair, the same thick beard, the same reading glasses.

"good morning class and welcome to the first semester," chris said warmly, walking down the stairs and to the front of the class.

as soon as he reached the bottom step his eyes locked onto hers and she knew full well that his heart had plummeted the same that hers had.

and as it had almost been yesterday, the memories all came flooding back. the sneaking around, the subtle touches around family members, the nighttime stories, the kisses, the sex, the passion.

he cleared his throat and tore his eyes off of hers, walking up to the chalkboard and neatly writing 'professor evans' with a sharp line underneath.

"i am professor evans and i'll be teaching engligh literature to you all this year."

his gaze met hers again, softening slightly before returning it to the rest of the class.

"we'll start with introductions and then i'll give you a rundown of what we'll be covering and a list of books that you'll all require," he said, running his fingers through his slicked back hair.

they all had to stand up one by one, starting from the back of the class, and say their name.

it seemed like forever before it was her go and she stood up sheepishly. "i'm lana," she said quietly, not taking her eyes off him.