chapter ten

SHE WAS CURLED UP with her dad and chris on the sofa, watching another one of those old cowboy films that she hated. the men were sat with glasses of whisky in their hands and their legs folded. her head was rested on her dad's shoulder with her feet slightly touching chris's thigh depending on how she sat.

"you want a drink sweetheart?" asked her dad, gesturing over to their alcohol cabinet. "nope i'm good papa, i don't drink." she said sweetly, giving him a smile. chris snorted, remembering her drunken rant at him the other night. she threw chris an annoyed look which he returned with a smile.

her dad laughed. "did that barbecue the other day put you off huh?" he asked, thinking back to when she'd drank an entire bottle of wine within an hour. she grinned at him. "yup, don't think i'll ever touch wine again." she giggled, knowing full well that was a lie.

she threw a blanket over her legs, starting to get cold as she was only in an oversized shirt with bare legs. not even a second later she felt chris's hand slip under the blanket, his fingers tracing small circles on her lower legs. going red in the cheeks she looked over at chris.

"he's right next to me." she mouthed to him with a frown. he shrugged, unbothered and looking back at the tv.

he confused her so much. a few days ago he had been ignoring her because he didn't feel comfortable with their relationship and now he's stroking her leg in front of her dad?

"i'm going to bed." she said, clearing her throat and getting up, his hand slipping from her leg onto the sofa. he gave her a confused but quick frown. she gave her dad a kiss on the cheek. "night night and have fun boys. try not to fall asleep because of how fucking boring this film is." she said jokingly, rubbing her eyes to pretend to be tired.

"night my love." her dad said soothingly, giving her a warm smile. "sleep well." chris said, a small smile on his lips.

she smiled quickly before going up to her bedroom, shutting her door and sliding down it, head in her palms.

her head was completely and utterly fucked. she thought he was scared, didn't want anything to do with her intimately. she sat there for about an hour, a million thoughts running through her head.

then she heard a soft knock at the door. she sighed and stood up, opening it. it was chris. his heart softened as he saw her standing there with a solemn look in her eyes with her too-big pyjamas going down to below her knees.

"what's wrong darling?" he asked stepping in and closing the door behind her. "is my dad sleeping?" she asked, completely avoiding his question.

he nodded and cupped her jaw. "talk to me lana what's up? are you okay?" he asked in a gentle tone. her breath shuddered, tears welling up in her eyes.

"see i was fine until you asked me if i'm okay." she said with a sarcastic laugh. he smiled sympathetically. "what's going on in that mind of yours?" he asked, brushing a strand of hair out of her eyes.

"do you seriously not know? you're so hot and cold chris. one minute you're all over me, the next minute you can't even look me in the eyes. where do you want this to go? i've never seen you in a proper relationship in your life so what is this going to end up as? are you forever going to see me as that choice you wish you'd never made?" she said quietly, placing a hand over her eyes and shaking her head.