Part 20

Y/n's POV

As I set up a makeshift house for us made of some of the wood we cleared Nick started the fire and cooked some food.

We work on our tasks in the dark forest when I hear a slight humming. Turning around I see the noise is coming from Nick. He has started to hum one of the songs that has been stuck in my head for a while.

"What song is that, I can't remember the name and it's been stuck in my head for a while now."

He looks up at me and shrugs his shoulders shaking his head.

"I'm not sure but it's pretty catchy, I heard you humming it earlier."

I turn back around and get back to finishing our shelter when I see that we don't have enough sticks for torches and new axes.

"Hey Nick, I'll be back, I'm going to go try to find some sticks."

"Ok call if you need help" I hear him yell back.

The trees sway around me as I walk through the dark forest. At the base of a tree I find a stick, but just one. After looking around for a while I can't seem to find any more.

'What did that dude say at the beginning? Can't I duplicate things?'

I hold the singular stick out in my palms and focus on replicating the item.

Sitting down on the damp ground I start to mess around with the stick focusing my attention into it and not my surroundings.

My eyes shut and I imagine myself pulling apart the stick into two.

'To bad this didn't come with an instruction manual'

An arrow hits the ground right in front of me and I shoot up wielding two sticks.

'Oh damn I did it'

Another arrow shoots towards me aiming for my chest, but the chest plate takes the damage.

I run around and come up behind the skeleton and take him out in a few hits and he drops a bone.

Picking up the bone I put it into my backpack alone with the sticks I've been duplicating and head back to our campsite.

Nick's POV

Sparks fly as I hit the flint and steel together over the wood pile waiting for it to light.

'Come on this is taking forever'

Finally a spark lights the wood just before y/n walks back into the clearing.

"Oh good you got the fire started"

I stand up, my hand involuntary going behind my neck and a bashful look appearing on my face.

"Uhh yeah, it took a while though, I'm definitely not a professional."

I reach into my bag and pull out the raw meat we have.

"Did you happen to pack any extra food"

"No, why, do we not have enough?"

I shake my head and show her the one piece we have.

She looks at it and contemplates for a second before reaching out, taking it into her hands.

"Watch this"

I sit down with her and watch as the one steak becomes two and the two becomes four.

"What the, how did you do that!"

She puts the meat around the fire and cleans her hands only giving me a simple shrug.

"It's just one of my abilities I guess"

"So you can duplicate items and you never said anything?"

She sits back down beside me as we watch the fire dance around cooking the steaks.

"I honestly forgot I could and I only remembered when I couldn't find enough sticks just now."

Returning my gaze to the fire I nod in understanding and sit in silence for our food.

'Maybe it's time I tell her my ability'