Chapter 5.

[Hailey]

Jay invited me to go clubbing with him for the first time about two weeks after the party.

It was at a fancy club that Jay was familiar with, but I'd never even been clubbing before, let alone somewhere posh.

"What do you even wear to go clubbing?" I asked my new friend Jemima. I'd met her at an Afro-Caribbean event and we'd hit it off.

"I don't know, a mini-skirt? A dress?"

"I've only got two."

"How about a jumpsuit? Surely you have that?"

Jem helped me select a fuchsia jumpsuit in my wardrobe. It must have looked really good on me because Jay seemed impressed.

"You look nice tonight."

"Thank you. Only tonight?"

"Always" he smirked.

"Are we here alone?"

"Kind of. I know that some of my friends are out tonight so we'll see if we see them."

It was nice to be alone like this. He led me to the dance floor and we began swaying to the music.

Jay's body felt nice against mine. It was strange to be this close, but also thrilling. He was probably used to this kind of thing though so I kept my cool.

"Do you want anything to drink?" he shouted over the music.

"No thank you."

"I'll be back in a moment."

I didn't feel safe without him there so I ended up following him. "Just can't live without me, can you?"

I blushed. "Shut up."

Jay downed his drink in no time as I looked on. "What?"

"You drank that like it was water."

He smirked. "I guess I'm just good at drinking."

"Wouldn't doubt that with a name like McGuiness."

"Touché."

We looked around at the club as we sat at the bar. There were so many made up girls here who looked like they were celebrities. It made me wonder how many experiences Jay had had with people like that.

"Shall we go dance again?"

"Sure." He took my hand and led me back to the dancefloor. The DJ was now playing more up-tempo songs, and people around us were grinding. I kept close to Jay so that no one else would try to dance with me, so much so that we were right up against each other. I looked up at him and instantly blushed, unsure of the situation. Jay's hand wound around my waist, keeping me close.

I was lost in the haze of the moment. Jay was now behind me and we were grinding, encouraged by the beat. I couldn't stop the thought that I was really enjoying being this close to him. I didn't want to admit it but I was somewhat attracted to him.

"I think we should sit for a bit" he whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine.

We sat in a booth, and Jay had another drink. He was sweating as much as I was. I made light eye contact with him, still high off my emotions.

"Do you want to get out of here?"

"Okay, but where do you want to go?"

"I'm kind of hungry, so let's go find some food." We linked arms and settled for a fast-food meal.

"I had a good time tonight" I said as I ate my chips.

"I'm glad."

"It was my first time clubbing you know."

"Really?"

"Yeah. Wasn't too bad. Less sinful than advertised."

He laughed. "Were you expecting an orgy?"

"I don't even know" I chuckled.

Jay give me a ride home that night and it was a night I thought of for a long time afterwards.

*

"I hate this job" I sighed as I typed out yet another document.

"So do I. But there's hope."

"There is?"

Harry turned his chair to mine. "I got a new job."

"Oh my goodness seriously? I'm so happy for you!"

"Thanks Lee. I just handed in my resignation."

"How's the boss taking it?"

"Not well I'm sure."

Harry was right. The boss was in a worse mood than usual and he piled work on us. I spent most of my morning trying to simply clear one of the files.

"Hailey, can you carry these boxes to the storeroom?" My boss showed me a pile of boxes. "Get Harry to help you."

"I think I should have janitor in my job description" Harry grumbled.

"At least you won't be working here anymore. You're leaving me here all alone."

"True. Sorry Lee."

"It's alright, I'll surely find another job. Let's just finish this before we go on break."

We gathered the boxes and continued bringing them to the store room, trying to mind the stairs. They were very worn down and slippery, and although we'd told the boss about them many times, nothing had been done about them.

I picked up one of the last boxes which appeared to contain glass. I could already feel the relief of this task almost being over. I stepped into the room, trying to be careful, but my foot slipped and I found myself hurtling down to the floor with a crash.

"Hailey?"

Harry's voice sounded kind of muffled to me. A sharp pain began to be felt near my abdomen.

"Hailey!"

Harry rushed down but lost his footing too, falling to his knees and instantly cutting them open. "Help!" he screamed as my head began throbbing, blood beginning to stain my top.