Chapter 14.

[Hailey]

When we got back, I was still on a high from the amazing holiday we'd had. Lucy had asked me to help her with one of her design projects for a new clothing line, so I was helping her with that when a note came through the letterbox in red letters.

"You will pay? What does that mean?" Lucy asked. She showed Nathan the note, but he reassured her that it was probably a prankster issuing an empty threat. They'd had that kind of thing before.

The following week, I accompanied Lucy as she went to drop off a creation at a client's home.

"It looks like no one lives here" I commented.

"True, but this is the address. I'll try knocking."

She went towards the door to knock, and as she did, the front of the house exploded, sending us both back several meters.

"Lucy? Are you alright?"

"Yes! How about you?"

"I'm fine. What was that?"

"No idea."

The boys were worried about us when they found out what had happened. They told the police about the note, and it seemed that someone was out to get us.

"We should probably lie low for a while" Nathan suggested. We left the shared house and all of us stayed at our own places while the police investigated. I had hope they'd find something, but nothing came up.

"Do you think it was a fluke?" Lucy asked. "Two coincidences?"

"Those are two pretty big coincidences."

I had a feeling something was going on, which was confirmed by what happened next.

One evening I was hanging out at the boys' place when a letter came through the mailbox. All that was written inside was "a friend in need is a friend indeed." I was immediately suspicious as I remembered the threatening letter Lucy had received and the explosion we had both been a victim of.

A friend in need? What could that mean? Someone was probably in danger. My mind went straight to Jay. "I hope I'm wrong..." I muttered as I grabbed my phone and rushed out the door.

Using my phone to track him, I ended up in front of an abandoned school. Jay's phone was lying in front of it, but there was no sign of him.

"Jay?" I called as I searched through the hallways. I kept looking until I heard a suspicious noise in a dark hallway, causing me to tiptoe. Taking off my shoe, I raised it above my head in preparation to hit the other person with it, but before I could they turned on the lights.

"Jay?! Oh my goodness you scared me!"

I was momentarily relieved until I noticed Jay's red eyes from crying. As I took in the sight of him, I noticed he was wearing a bulky black vest.

"Run Hailey", he pleaded, opening the vest. "It's a bomb."

*

"Calm down Jay, I'll get this off you." I examined the bomb and thought quickly. "How did this happen?"

"I got a text which I thought was from you to come here. Next thing I know I wake up with this thing on and no way of calling for help. I thought I would die here alone."

"You won't, I'm here now" I smiled.

I quickly called the detective on our case. "No time for questions, just pass me the bomb squad."

"Have you seen if there's any way to remove it?"

"There isn't."

I described the bomb to the person on the other end and hoped there was something I could do.