Chapter 11.

[Jay]

I waited for Hailey outside of her building to surprise her. I spotted her storming out, not even noticing me. "Hailey!" I called her and she stopped.

"Jay? What are you doing here?"

"I thought I'd surprise you today."

We walked together for a bit. I could tell something was wrong so I pulled her aside into an alley. "What's wrong Hailey? Something doesn't seem right."

She sighed. "I found out that Cam is dating other women."

"Oh. I'm sorry to hear that."

"He's a dick." She blinked so as not to cry.

"He is. He doesn't deserve you."

She huffed. "I don't want to cry. It's lame."

"It's not lame. I cried when Samantha left me." I tentatively hugged her. "Seems we both dated dicks."

"It would seem so."

"Do you want to go out tonight?"

"No, I want to be alone. Tomorrow's good though."

"Alright then. You can come to our concert."

"You're performing tomorrow?"

"Yeah, here in London."

"Cool, I look forward to that."

The next night, I made sure to perform the best I could, because I could see Hailey in the crowd. We sang Heartbreak Story, and I focused on Hailey as I sang If We're Alright. I wanted her to understand once more that I was on her side, and that everything would be alright.

"It was a good show tonight" she commented when she came backstage. "I was definitely entertained."

"That's good to hear."

Lucy was there so Hailey went off to talk to her as Max came over to me. "Do you like Hailey bird?"

He took me completely off-guard. "What?"

"We've all noticed it."

"I just want us to be okay again."

"Alright, but you definitely have a weakness for her."

I blushed. Did I really? I was just being a good friend to her.

Weeks passed by and my friendship with Hailey gradually repaired itself. We started hanging out like old times again. Christmas was in a month and we decided to start planning a Christmas party.

"We're going to do a pre-Christmas party at the house, wanna come?"

"I'd love to, but I'm not sure if I'll be back in time."

"Back? Where are you going?"

"My company is sending me out to Dubai for work. I'm not sure how long it will take."

"Oh okay. Well I hope you'll be back in time."

I decided to get a gift for her anyway and organize a really good party. If she came back in time, I wanted her to be blown away.

[Hailey]

The flight to Dubai went well. Jay came to see me off and promised a party when I came back.

"Take care out there."

"I will. I'll be back with gifts."

Life out there was pretty cool. I got to see a lot of the amazing things I'd seen on TV in real. I worked hard to make sure I could go home for Christmas.

Jay and I spoke every day by Skype. Things were pretty much like they used to be between us and I was looking forward to seeing him again.

As I relaxed on my day off, I thought back to a conversation I'd had with Lucy not long before I left.

"Can I talk to you about something?"

"Sure."

"Nathan told me about the thing he had with you. I was wondering if you still, you know..."

"Don't worry, I have no feelings for him. We didn't really have anything. He just wanted temporary comfort."

"Okay. Makes sense though, what with you and Jay."

"What about Jay and I?"

"Well aren't you guys basically together?"

"No, we're just friends."

I gave her a brief history of our friendship and she listened attentively.

"I can see why you guys are close. I'm glad you forgave him, he's a nice guy."

"Yes he is. He proved himself worthy."

It was interesting to get Lucy's perspective on Jay and I's relationship. Did everyone see us like that? It was kind of amusing.

The hard work I did in Dubai paid off, as I was able to go home early. I deliberately didn't tell Jay so I could surprise him. I knew he was putting together preparations for the party.

I sneaked into the house and found them in the living room, admiring the tree.

"Do you think it's good enough? I told Hailey it'd be magnificent."

"I think it is."

They all turned around and saw me there, looks of shock on their faces.

"Hailey! How come you're here?" Jay picked me up and twirled me around.

"I finished early."

"Great, because the party is tomorrow."

Jay wasn't lying about the party being good. He'd thought of everything: decorations, games, music, etc.

"You really went all out" I smiled. "It's great Jay."

"Thank you. I did promise a really good party after all."

"Did you like your gift?"

"I did, thanks Jay."

He'd given me a gift card for a fancy store worth £500.

"Oh look, mistletoe."

Jay looked up and noticed it.

"Really? I can never recognise it" I laughed.

"You owe me a kiss."

"Okay then" I smirked. Wrapping my arms around his neck, I got up on my tiptoes and gave him a brief kiss on the lips.

"There you go."

"Nice" he smiled. "You taste like cherry."

I blushed. Friends weren't supposed to kiss, but that had felt good. Too good...