Chapter 6.

[Jay]

It was a nice sunny day for once and I was in a good mood. The boys were all out doing their things, so I decided that today was the day I would visit Hailey's workplace. Her break time was coming up soon, so I set off to get there on time.

When I got there though, I immediately noticed something different. There was an ambulance parked out front, and a small group of people standing outside.

Pushing past them, I entered the store and started heading towards the offices.

"Sir, you can't be here right now." One of the employees tried to stop me.

"Why not? I'm just here to visit a friend."

"There's been an accident so we're dealing with that right now."

"Where's Hailey? Do you know her?"

I was beginning to get a bad feeling about the situation.

"I don't know sir, all I know is that it involved two people."

"I need to be sure."

I pushed past him and went to the source of the commotion. Two paramedics were walking out carrying a stretcher between them.

"Harry! What's happened? Where's Hailey?"

"We fell" was all he managed to get out as they carried him away. I felt a shiver run down my spine.

Another stretcher soon followed, and I got my first look at Hailey after the accident. There was so much blood on her top and I could clearly see bits of glass poking out of her abdomen. I wanted to be sick.

"Hailey!" I ran towards her as they carried her out to the ambulance. "Can I ride with her?"

"Sure."

I got in with them and off we went.

All I could do was hold her hand as they worked on her. They were trying to stop the bleeding and manage her pain, all while trying to keep her awake.

"It's going to be alright Hailey" I reassured. "I'm here."

"She's fainted" said one of the paramedics after a while. "How much time now?"

"Less than a minute."

It was a whirlwind at the hospital. They rushed off with her, leaving me to sit in the waiting room waiting for news. I was anxious so I told the boys where I was and tried to focus on good thoughts.

She'll be fine, I thought. She's pretty strong.

I was able to see Harry sooner than Hailey. "What happened Harry? Are you okay?"

"I'm okay now. Had to get stitches. How's Hailey?"

"Don't know yet."

Harry told me everything that had happened that day leading up to the accident. He was angry and upset that such a thing could have happened.

"I'm going to sue them, I'm going to sue them all!" he fumed.

"They'd certainly deserve it, but right now let's just focus on Hailey getting better, okay? She'll need our support."

I kept Harry company for hours. Hailey had to have surgery to remove the glass safely, and once that was done and she was put in a room, we could finally see her.

"The anesthetic hasn't worn off yet" the nurse warned as I sat by her side. I grabbed her hand and sighed with relief; she was out of the woods. I wasn't losing her today.

*

Hailey spent a couple of days in hospital while she recovered. She had a concussion from the fall, so once they cleared her to leave, they made sure that someone would be there with her.

"She can stay with me" I volunteered. "I'll watch over her."

"Are you sure?"

"I'm sure."

I helped her get her coat on and I took her back to the house where we could all keep an eye on her. Even though I now had band activities to do, it wasn't as heavy as it used to be so I had the time.

"I'll give you the spare room. Just make yourself comfortable."

"What about my stuff?"

"I'll go pick up some of your things later. My room is just across from yours so call me if you need me."

I couldn't help still being worried about her. She'd been through something pretty big, and though she seemed to be taking it well, who knew how long that would last. I just wanted to protect her from anything else happening on my watch.

"Thanks for everything Jay. You didn't have to."

"I did. It's what friends do." I smiled and gently patted her head. "Get some rest now, you need it." She got comfortable under the covers and I covered her over properly, tucking her in.