Chapter 13.

[Jay]

The Bahamas was amazing. Being there with Hailey was even better. She was amazed by the beauty of the place and we spent a lot of time together exploring. I preferred to spend my days going on adventures with her rather than partying.

"I've heard that the beach at night is very beautiful here" she commented. "Should we check it out?"

"Sure. We could even swim."

"Are you sure that's a good idea at night?"

"Don't worry, we won't actually be going in too deep."

We walked out to the beach after sunset, as we were staying in a hotel nearby. The water was colder than in the day, so we didn't mess around too much before going to sit on the sand.

"You know Hailey, I want to thank you for everything you've done for me this year, and in the past. Your friendship has been vital to me."

"You're welcome. I suppose I should thank you too, you've also brought a lot to my life."

"Since it's your birthday soon, I got you something."

He pulled out a black box. "Open it."

I opened it to reveal a silver charm bracelet. "Aw it's lovely Jay."

"I put things on here to symbolize our friendship. Like this beer bottle is when we met, and this heart symbolizes the care you gave me when I was ill."

"Thank you Jay."

She kissed me on the cheek, and I hugged her to my side. I wanted to kiss her passionately, not just hug, but I kept that to myself for now.

"Do you want to go in?"

"No, I want to enjoy the moment a little longer. Let's stargaze for a bit."

She lay down beside me and I followed suit, focusing on the beautiful starry sky. My hand found hers as we contemplated the sheer beauty of the place, as well as the beauty of true friendship.

The holiday was also the perfect opportunity to get to know Lucy better. She was a fashion designer who'd worked with Nathan before in his solo career and she was very bubbly to say the least. Her enthusiasm for life was contagious to those around her, and I could see that she made Nathan happier with just her presence. Hailey seemed to like her too so that was a plus.

A couple of days into the trip I realized that Hailey was getting friendly with one of the hotel's waiters, a guy named Marco. She told me that he was an exchange student and that he knew where all the good parties were.

"He can get us into one on a private beach. There'll be a bonfire and everything."

"Sounds good."

Marco definitely delivered, because it was one hell of a party. People were dancing in the water and on the shore, going wild to the sound of the music. Marco came over to dance with Hailey, leaving me alone with Max for a while.

"When are you going to ask her out bird?"

I pretended to be clueless. "What?"

"Hailey. When are you going to shoot your shot?"

"I don't know."

"Do it sometime this century will ya?"

He patted me on the shoulder and left me with my thoughts. Hailey came back over to me when she was tired of dancing.

"You're not dancing Jay?"

"Nah."

"Come on then!"

She grabbed my hand and I barely had time to put down my beer before she'd dragged me onto the sand. "You can't just sit down at a party like this."

I chuckled. "Okay showstopper. I thought you were with Marco."

"No, he went off somewhere."

"Do you like him?"

"He's an alright guy, but I've known him for like five minutes."

"Fair enough."

"Are you jealous Jay?"

"No, just wondering."

"Sure."

We continued to dance until we got to slow dances. I put my hands around her waist, and she rested her head on my shoulder.

"This holiday was amazing."

"It really was."

"It'll be difficult to return to reality."

"Don't worry, there'll be other times."

"You'll take me on holiday again?"

"Yes, amongst other things."

"I look forward to that" she smiled, closing her eyes.