it's rather cold

disclaimer: the water is not to blame for Hazel's miscarriage nor the land deteriorating. miscarriages happen and sometimes without a known reason. the land deteriorating is caused by the rejection, that's already explained in the past chapter.

and can we please stop putting either Archer or Hazel at the burning stake? how many times do I have to explain that Archer was there for Jessica because he knew she needed him, she was having suicidal thoughts for goodness' sake and y'all want him to kick her down when she was already struggling?

Archer is not perfect, he failed, yes, he wasn't there when Hazel needed her most yes, but it happens in a relationship. as much as you may want to be there, sometimes you make the wrong decisions and you can't.

Hazel is a kind soul, too kind that it hurt her, but she is growing, she is taking everything one step at a time. she also made mistakes, but she is learning.

can we please normalize accepting the mistakes of others and let them grow from it?

i appreciate the different theories arising, i love love reading all your comments, but please don't confuse the other readers 💕

When we arrived at the pack almost a day later, the sun was already setting. I was surprised when I saw a lot of people by the pack house all waiting for me.

Getting off the car, I had met with the familiar faces and greeted them. There were the young warriors I used to teach, there was the pack helpers, the cooks, the border patrols and of course there was Suzy and Frances.

"I missed you both." I tell them and it was the truth, they were the first friends that I made here and I had always hoped that they would be doing fine.

As I was greeting everyone, there was a cheerful and joyful atmosphere, but beneath that, I could sense and observe the obvious changes.

Like Allan and Derek, everyone seemed to be so... exhausted, but they tried to hide that with their smiles.

On the way to the pack, I noticed what they were saying about the land deteriorating. I was heartbroken to see that the land that used to be bustling with the greenest trees and grass were now withering.

It must have been because it was nearing night time already, but no birds hovered above. The place was awfully quiet and... cold.

What truly shocked me was the barrier though. I'm not a strong barrier user but even I can cast a stronger barrier than what the pack was relying on right now.

Allan and Derek must've noticed my reaction, but they chose not to say anything and I'm glad they didn't because I wouldn't have known how to respond anyways.

"Okay, everyone, let the Lu--, Hazel through first. We'll let her settle down first and she'll be back down later for supper." Allan was the one who broke through the crowd.