Chapter 8: Curse Womb Must Die

Log: 18th March 20XX,

West Tokyo City, Eishuu Juvenile Detention Center.

In the sky above the exercise yard, an unnamed apparition of Potential Special Grade.

Its Curse Womb was witnessed by several non-jujutsu sorcerers.

Due to the emergency nature, four Jujutsu Tech first-years were dispatched to the scene.

One died.

** ** **

It was raining when they arrived at the juvenile detention center. It was the fine rain that soaks you to the bone in minutes.

Mina wished she'd brought an umbrella as the chill of the rain set in her bones. Ijichi had driven them to the site and was informing them of the current situation.

"Our window verified the cursed womb three hours ago, and once they managed to evacuate most of the people inside, they made the call to seal off the center."

"Ijichi? What's a window?" Yuuji asked, sounding confused.

"A window is a member of Jujutsu Tech who can see curses. They aren't sorcerers, however." Ijichi appeared a tired man in his mid-twenties, with sunken cheeks and sporting a severe black uniform.

"At present, five detainees remain inside with the curse womb. If it's the type that metamorphoses, we predict it will become a special grade cursed spirit," the man called Ijichi continued.

He then went on to explain the cursed ranking system, with Mina only half listening as she studied the center. She had a bad feeling about this. To her relief, Megumi seemed to share the same sentiment.

"Normally a jujutsu sorcerer on par with the cursed spirit would take on the mission, so on a day like today that would be Gojou, but he is away on business," Megumi said, looking at Ijichi for confirmation. Ijichi nodded.

"Unfortunately, we're constantly short-handed in this business. You'll often have to undertake missions beyond your power."

"The current case is abnormal, however, and most urgent. Do not fight under any circumstances. If you encounter a special grade, your options are to either run or die." Mina shivered at Ijichi's tone.

"Sounds fun," she murmured sarcastically, and Yuuji was tempted to echo her.

** ** **

"Demon Dogs!" Megumi said, his shikigami emerging from his shadow.

"He'll let us know if the curse gets close," he reassured the others as they opened the door to the detention center.

The cursed energy levels spiked as soon as the door closed behind them. Mina blinked in confusion.

"What is this?" Yuuji asked, sounding a little scared.

"Wasn't this a two-story building?" Mina asked nervously. She glanced at Megumi who looked panicked. She touched him gently on his shoulder but he shook his head.

"Where's the door?!" he asked suddenly, turning quickly towards the way they entered. But the door was nowhere in sight.

Kugisaki and Yuuji began to panic, but Megumi reassured them that his shikigami remembered the scent of the entrance. They began walking through the strangely twisting hallways, with Mina walking ahead of the three.

"Mina! Don't wander off!" he shouted at her. She had just begun to turn a corner.

"Or what, emo boy!" she stuck her tongue out at him playfully. Megumi looked at her dumbfounded.