Chapter 11: The Smiling Monk

The light finally turned green, allowing Mina to cross the road. She didn't have a particular idea of where she wanted to go, only going where her feet took her.

Yuuji is dead, and it's all my fault, she thought to herself bitterly. I should never have listened to him. I should have been there to stop him from being forced to call out Sukuna.

These thoughts filled her mind as she walked without seeing.

She'd been walking for nearly an hour when she bumped into someone.

"Watch where you're going," an unruly man sneered after bumping into her.

She looked at him coldly.

She walked away as the man began screaming, his hands clawing at his clothes and skin, gouging and tearing at his own flesh. Others began to scream as blood began to pour uncontrollably from his eyes and mouth before he fell limply to the ground, unmoving.

No one noticed the woman as she walked calmly away from the dying man, a dark aura shrouding her.

No one noticed except a young man dressed in monk's robes, his gaze following her every movement, a smile gracing his lips which pulled back to reveal a sinister grin.

** ** **

"Well, tell me Geto. Was there any real reason to use a precious finger to test Sukuna's strength?" Jogou grumbled. The man called Geto smiled slightly, watching as Mina walked away from the human corpse across the road.

"We'll soon find out it was successful. In more ways than one." Jogou snorted at the unexpected reply.

"Are you still going on about that woman?" the curse complained.

"We did find out a few interesting things," Geto said in reply as they walked down the street, mirroring the woman across the street.

To normal humans, it appeared that the smiling monk was talking to himself, earning him weird looks from passers-by who steered clear of his path.

But that wasn't the only reason they stayed away or found excuses to cross the road as they saw him walk in their direction. Humans have survival instincts ingrained into their souls, and their instincts told them that this man was dangerous.

** ** **

Mina didn't have it in her to feel guilty after her little outburst and continued walking with her head down, thinking about what she should do now.

The rational part of her wanted to detach herself from the Jujutsu Sorcerers and focus on finding the Codex. A month had already passed and she still had no leads. She also wanted to prevent herself from forming any more attachments to people.

She wasn't looking where she was going when she smacked her face into someone's chest. Wincing, she held her nose which stung from the impact.

Glancing up in annoyance, her eyes met a pair of brown eyes and froze.

Something felt off about this man, causing Mina to observe him cautiously. It was then when Mina noticed the three curses surrounding him.

Raising an eyebrow, she turned to the monk, who smiled at her.

"You keep...interesting company," Mina ventured, startled slightly at the glare she was receiving from the volcano-looking curse.

The monk chuckled.

"I guess I do Mina."

She froze, looking at the man guardedly.

"How do you know me?" she demanded, her voice rising. The monk placed a finger on his lips.