Chapter 17: Overtime

Blood dripped from Mina's twin katanas, the black blades pairing well with the crimson blood staining them. The cursed spirit stood between the both of them, the wounds it had just received were rippling, the torn flesh regenerating and leaving smooth unblemished skin behind.

They had both quickly come to the realisation that this was no ordinary curse.

It was surprisingly fast, and despite Nanami and Mina having both managed to land solid blows which should have proven lethal, Mina was growing increasingly frustrated with how it managed to regenerate its limps so quickly.

Imbuing more cursed energy into her katana, Mina resolved to aim for its head. The body's nucleus.

However, this was by no means a one-sided fight, and once again Mina found herself disturbed by these so-called 'curses.'

Suddenly, it jumped up, its arms taking on a fluid quality as they expanded before attacking them.

They are more like demons from hell, she mused to herself, whirling around, her katanas carving a circle around her, slicing the curse with proficiency.

However, in the midst of the fight, Mina noticed something was off. While the curse was attacking both of them, the attacks aimed at her were almost half-hearted, reluctant even. Instead, most of the curse's attention was focused on Nanami, who was now on the defensive, staunchly holding his ground.

This fact didn't escape Nanami's shrewd eyes as he glanced towards where Mina attacked the Curse's flank, analysing this unexpected turn of events.

"Mina, retreat," he said calmly.

Mina frowned.

"Why-" she was suddenly cut off as the curse threw a handful of transfigured humans at her, causing them to attack her simultaneously.

"You shouldn't leave just yet, not when things are getting exciting." The curse laughed childishly.

At a glance, the curses threatened to crush her, but at the last moment, she struck, wielding her katanas with deadly accuracy, channelling pure cursed energy through them. The katanas shook and groaned slightly under the pressure, enough to make Mina think that they may finally break. Thankfully they held on as she finished the rest of the transfigured curses off in under 2 minutes.

The grey-haired curse pouted at her.

"That's not fair! I thought they'd at least occupy you while I finish off your partner."

"We're not partners." Mina and Nanami said at the same time, causing the curse to laugh.

"Either way, that jujutsu sorcerer is almost run out of steam? Don't you think?"

Nanami sighed as he checked his watch, just as the big hand struck 12. It was 6 PM.

"Unfortunately," he said, loosening his tie and wrapping it around his right fist, his cursed energy suddenly increasing exponentially. "I'm going into overtime now."

He glanced towards Mina, who nodded, understanding the meaning behind his look.

He intended to fight the curse alone. This was non-negotiable He planned to get her away from the curse and its unusual attention on her.

Trusting in his ability, and taking advantage of the curse's surprise at Nanami's unexpected transformation, Mina fell back into the shadows which coalesced around her before suddenly dispersing, leaving an empty space where she once stood.

***

The first time she travelled through the shadows, she remembered throwing up, her insides a churning mess. It was an unsettling feeling as if there was a delay in your organs travelling with you, making you feel disconcerted and out of balance. After much trial and error, she had eventually mastered this aspect of her power, finding it to have become extremely useful.