THE FIGHT (9)

CORPSE / PAST: SEPTEMBER 2020

    Corpse sighed, his head in his hands, elbows aching from the pressure he was putting on them on his desk. He couldn't focus on the game, the sound of his friends arguing in his ears.

    They were playing Among Us, off-stream, which didn't happen very often, but after much convincing, Toast had pulled together a private lobby. Something about practicing for future videos, Corpse didn't really listen honestly.

    It wasn't that Corpse hadn't had to force himself to play with Eden before. They had circled through similar friend groups unintentionally, but before, Eden was merely a room away from him, and they weren't in the middle of a major argument. Now, one week after she moved out from the apartment, Corpse was forced to play with her, doing so more for his friends than himself.

    He had to admit it; he missed her immensely. Although they hadn't talked much following their breakup in March, Corpse had never been in an apartment by himself. He had never been alone, and he hadn't gone this long without seeing Eden since he had met her when he was eighteen. It was embarrassing to be so reliant on someone.

    He had too much going on in his head to defend himself as he was being voted out. Between the incessant stans on Twitter, the music he had yet to record and release, and the medical appointments he had planned for the week, he couldn't bring himself to care.

    When Eden lived with him and they were dating, they would go to doctors appointments together, knowing Corpse couldn't remember things the doctor had mentioned due to his lack of sleep. Eden would listen intently, going as far as taking little notes for Corpse to read if he ever forgot something in the mornings he had to take his medications. They would go out to lunch afterwards, and talk about anything but his medical issues.

    Corpse got lucky that the pandemic had caused most appointment cancellations around the time they split. But now, with California making a lousy attempt at getting things back to normal, he had months worth of appointments scheduled over 5 days, and he couldn't stand to think about the questions he would receive from his doctors when they saw Eden wouldn't be walking in with him.

    He huffed, forcing himself to finally glance up at his screen, realizing the game had ended with a crewmate win.

    "LG for me, guys, I have to stream in about an hour and I want to eat," Rae mentioned.

    Corpse had known Valkyrae through Eden when they started playing Fortnite together. Rae was one of Eden's first friends in the streaming community. Corpse hadn't spoken to her personally, but always admired her dedication to her stream. He was inspired by her presence, and after nearly two months of lobbies with her, he considered her a good friend now.

    He was unsure if Eden had told anyone about him and their relationship, so he never mentioned the connection, just to avoid speculation.

    Not like it mattered now, anyway. They were done.

    Everyone agreed that it was best to call it quits after one more game.

    Corpse was the imposter, meaning he actually had to focus. He groaned, too anxious to fully even care about this game. His imposter partner was Leslie, and although he felt bad about it, he truly hoped she would carry them to victory and he could just die.

    Running around the map, he killed Sykkuno first, knowing he always knew when Corpse was imposter. It stung for a second, standing over his friends dead body, but he knew Sykkuno wouldn't hold it against him.

    A meeting was called right as Corpse began to run from the body. He picked up the knife next to his keyboard, flicking it anxiously. Even off stream he worried people would be judging him.