MORNING AFTER (10)

CORPSE / PRESENT: MARCH 2021

He ran a hand over his face before placing it back down on her bare hip. He didn't necessarily regret it, but Corpse was already anticipating the scolding he would get from Rae.

He knew this would happen if he invited Eden over. He knew he had little self-control when it came to her. He always had that issue throughout their entire relationship. He was so incredibly head over heels for her, and now it was biting him in the ass.

Her breaths were heavy, Corpse knowing she was asleep. Shifting slightly, her head fell from his bare chest and back onto the couch. He carefully slid out from under her, avoiding waking her up. Covering her naked body with a blanket from the back of the couch, Corpse couldn't help but appreciate her. He had missed her.

He selfishly thought she was easy. He knew what she liked, he knew where to kiss and touch and pull to send her right over the edge. Admittedly, she knew the same for him. As he pulled his underwear up his legs, he glanced at her, noticing the soft smile on her lips. He kissed her head, pressing his lips for a second longer than he should've.

Corpse sighed, groaning softly. He didn't regret it.

It was four in the morning and Corpse was wide awake. He couldn't remember the last tine he had slept.

He refrained briefly from wanting to bother Rae, but after a few moments of doubt, he called her anyway. He was freaking out.

That didn't change that this was his fault.

"Hello, Crops," Rae's raspy morning voice said in his ear. "You gotta let me sleep sometimes, buddy," she teased.

"I'm sorry, Rae," Corpse sighed. "But, I um, I fucked up, Rae."

"What do you mean, Corpse? Are you okay?"

"... I invited Eden over tonight to talk and now she's naked on my couch and we haven't talked about anything."

"Okay..." Rae sighed, "Please... what do you want to hear, Corpse?"

"I don't know! I don't know what to say... I'm so fucking stupid." Corpse stepped into his room, shutting the door lightly behind him to avoid Eden possibly hearing anything.

"You're not stupid... but I thought we discussed this Corpse. You were supposed to talk to her in person to clear the air, and that was going to be it!"

"That was the plan, but then.... Rachel," he groaned out, his fingers tugging at his hair. The self-loathing was hitting him at once.

"You know, Corpse. It already happened... honestly, this is probably a good thing! Now you don't have to worry about sexual tension when you do inevitably speak to each other," Rae tried to encourage. "You'll be fine," she said softer, trying to soothe.

"I don't... I don't regret doing it... does that make me a bad person? I- I missed her," Corpse admitted. He was hurting, desperate for some form of validation.

"No, it doesn't make you a bad person. You're still just as good as you were yesterday, Corpse. You're practically an angel," Rae said, and Corpse could hear her yawning, getting more comfortable in her bed, the sheets ruffling against her phone.

"Thank you, Rachel," Corpse sighed. He struggled to believe it all, but was working on it. "I love you, sorry for waking you up."

"Love you too, Crops. We'll talk more tomorrow, night," and she hung up before he could respond.

Corpse passed the time by taking a shower, going as far as washing his hair. He stood in front of his bathroom mirror, avoiding looking at his face at all costs, focusing on his soaking wet curls, struggling to hold a shape on his head. He ran products through them, twisting each tendril around a finger, before giving up. It would look better when it dried anyway. Slipping a black mask over his face, he finally felt calmer, and more like himself.

Corpse tapped away at his keyboard, sending messages back to labels offering too much money for his time, writings lyrics, until the sun was rising, shining brightly through the bedroom window. He flinched, the light hitting him in his eyes. Sighing, Corpse realized it was another day without sleep. Thankfully, the only thing he had planned was a JackBox stream with Karl, which took little to no effort from him.

"Corpse?"

Her soft voice carried peacefully throughout the quiet apartment. Corpse flinched; he would have to talk now, wouldn't he?

He rushed to get out to the living room, hoping Eden wouldn't assume he had left her. He didn't know how to play this. He was stuck between acting completely normal, or being overly loving and affectionate. Seeing her sitting on his couch, only wearing panties and the hoodie he was wearing the night before, Corpse was struggling to not scoop her into his arms and take her to his own bed. His hands twitched as he salt next to her. He shoved them into the pockets of his grey sweatpants.

"Are you hungry? It's only like 8:30, I think," Corpse offered quietly, his own voice gravelly from his exhaustion.

"Hmm... a little.. but, I'm not- I'm not ready to leave," Eden admitted, keeping her eyes down, avoiding his gaze.

"You don't have to leave. I'll order in," Corpse reassured her, pulling out his phone to quickly put in a breakfast order for the two of them. He rushed through the process, the silence bothering the hell out of him, but he had nothing to say. Eden was playing with the rings on her fingers, and Corpse was sure she was going through the same thoughts he had been earlier this morning.

"Um..." Corpse wasn't used to being the one to initiate conversations that were awkward. Even when they were dating, and throughout their breakup, Eden handled the conversations. They had always communicated well regardless of the circumstances, but Corpse now felt like he didn't know what to say.

Maybe he wouldn't say anything at all.

NOTE!!

let me know what you think! :)