EDEN (13.5)

EDEN / PRESENT: APRIL 2021

Eden knew when Rae called, she was fucked.

Her and Rae had been friends for years, just from a distance. They had talked each other through breakups, and would play games together often, but never hung out outside of online. Eden always had Corpse to be concerned about, she couldn't risk inviting her friends over and them finding out about the two of them.

She struggled to admit it, but being with Corpse was exhausting, and they both knew it. He was so particular about every little aspect of his life. In some ways, she admired him for it, in others, it was anxiety inducing. It was like, she was constantly walking on eggshells with him, scared she would cross a boundary she didn't know existed. For a long time, Corpse wasn't so... much. He was okay, and healthy, and a kid, just like her.

Watching his downfall, then his come up all over again, pained her. She wanted to be proud, but she could only hope that he wouldn't lose himself in the process of blowing up online.

    When he had joined her friend group last year, through Among Us, she honestly hadn't minded it so much. She was okay, just nervous. It was something she could manage easily in the privacy of her bedroom. But then Corpse got to be so different than he had been before. He was cocky, and had this false confidence, that maybe Eden just hadn't remembered. It was a defense mechanism, she knew, but it still made her want to punch him in the mouth and tell him to shut the hell up.

    Or maybe, she was just being a bitter ex, she didn't know.

    When Rae called, apologizing profusely for "starting drama," she couldn't help but be a little pissed off. Eden had finally felt at peace with Corpse, and maybe it was just the makeup sex, but she had a fair bit of closure to get her by with never talking to him again.

    But she knew, if her therapist looked at this situation, she would be disappointed. Sex was not the way to solve problems, and the adult part of Eden knew that.

    She agreed to meet Corpse with that part of things in mind.

    Walking up the steps to their old apartment felt oddly nostalgic in the worst way. She felt broken all over again, just by the way the third stair always seemed to squeak, no matter where you stepped. Aside from the old lady in apartment 1230, Corpse and Eden were the longest lasting tenants in the complex, and she truly missed the quiet, but bustling community.

    Not paying attention to where she was walking, Eden nearly collided with the Postmates delivery driver as he stepped back from Corpse's front door, snapping a quick picture for proof of the delivery.

    "Sorry, thanks!" Eden said nicely, picking up the food at her feet, and knocking on the door.