chapter one - consequences

Mind deep in thought, you aimlessly drew circles with your fingertips on the table in front of you.

Creating swirly, imaginary lines as you zoned out on the dreary tone of your professor's voice. The sound of the clock ticking kept your eyes open only temporarily.

With your professor's request, you flipped the page and sighed to yourself. You didn't even look at the words on your worn, tattered book. You had gotten to the point in the semester where it didn't matter much anymore. Graduation was just around the corner for you and your twin brother Jameson.

Sweet, clueless Jameson.

He was terribly inept at times, but you still loved him dearly. Typical sibling arguments and rivalry kept your relationship alive and well. But Jameson was a Ravenclaw, a near horrifying discovery for your family as it broke the century long line of Hufflepuffs.

Your parents were absolutely heartbroken that their son had ruined the long Hufflepuff line they had tried so hard to maintain. Of course, you were a carbon copy of your mother and inevitably another Hufflepuff, but it didn't quite matter as much. Their world was just shattered with the outcome of Jameson.

He was however absolutely brilliant when it came to school. He was at the top of your class and focused mainly on his schoolwork. He had some friends in his house, but wasn't much for drama or snobby purebloods that thought so highly of themselves.

He preferred a much simpler existence at Hogwarts, similar to you.

The sunlight peaked through the diamond etched windows and caught your eye, your invisible sketches forgotten of. The warm rays sent your mind into the world of daydreaming. You were a glutton for a good fantasy you could disappear into while hunched over the potions table.

The typical grey, dreary days you had finally gotten used to were now a thing of the past. The change in weather whisked you all into the headspace of summer.

Summer.

You were aching to be done with your studies so you could start living in the muggle world after graduation. Their foolish and kind nature, their ability to be content in the simplest of jobs with no concern for their future. They all lived so carefree, oblivious to the dangers of the wizarding world. It would be so easy to disappear there and your tie to this world to be severed for good.

Although you would always tell your parents you were there for muggle relations, you truly longed to be done with this world and live there permanently.

The purpose of all wizards and witches is one that you were supposedly born with and were expected to fulfill, especially with this lovely gift you were given of magic.

You simply did not care to fulfill your eventual purpose however, or to truly do anything with your magic at all. You would give it up at a moment's notice for a simple muggle life.

"And you dear, zoning out in the back. Please read the question presented on page 273."

You jerked your head up to the sound of your professor calling on you.

Shit, shit!

You quickly flipped through the pages anxiously trying to find the one you were supposed to be on. You had gotten lost in your thoughts and stopped keeping up.

"Tortoise shell and bat tongue are key components in what potion?" your professor asked condescendingly, annoyed that she was having to read the question herself since you could not find it.

You rolled the top of the potion bottle between your fingers and a soft hmph left your lips.

Come on, think! This one is easy!