chapter twenty eight - called home

Arriving at Malfoy Manor was a breath of fresh air you hadn't expected.

You honestly never thought you'd be back here, or feel the kind of attachment you did to the home. But as you walked up to the front gates, your nerves were completely settled.

The beautiful exterior of the mansion was now wrapped in a tangle of vines that stretched across the entire facade.

All of the shrubs and topiaries were surprisingly in disarray, overgrown and forgotten of.

The esteemed Malfoy Manor looked like something out of an apocalypse movie. It was completely unexpected and disheartening to see firsthand.

You didn't know anymore what you were walking into, or what the condition of the inside of the manor would be. When you'd left all those months ago, everything was in pristine shape.

You didn't know if you should knock on the door, or if it would already be open considering how desolate the place looked. You hadn't planned on coming at all, so no one knew you'd be there.

As you went to knock on the door, a hearty breeze blew in and opened the door for you.

Peeking inside, the disheveled home had no lights on downstairs, or any staff that you could see.

"Hello? Is anyone there?"

You peered into the library, the kitchen, and turned up nothing. It was hard to see considering how dark it was, but when you tried to switch on the lights they didn't turn on.

Just as you were about to head back out and consider it a lost cause, a very small voice was heard from the darkness.

"Miss..."

So meek, so pitiful.

Out of the shadows emerged an absolutely heart wrenching Alfie who looked the worst you'd ever seen him. The petite, young elf was in shambles. He approached you slowly, and very carefully, as he looked up at you with teary eyes.

"Hi Alfie. Are you okay?"

Clinging to the bottom of your shirt, he wrapped his arms around you tightly and you cradled his small head as his tears fell silently.

Leaning down to his level, you looked at his big wide eyes and tried to calm him down. "It's okay honey, I promise everything will be alright. Will you tell me what's going on?"

"I can't. I'm bound here by my master."

Lucius. He's here.

Thinking quickly on your feet, you pulled your jacket off and opened Alfie's hands.

Leaving your item of clothing in his outstretched palms before he could yank them back, he looked at you in disbelief.

"Master?"

"No, Alfie I'm not your master now. You're free," you said gently as he grasped the jacket. "Now tell me, is Lucius here?"

"Yes... he's upstairs," Alfie said quietly. "But be very careful. I don't believe you should've come back here."

Wrapping your jacket around his tiny figure, you gave him one final look.

"I know. But I love him Alfie."

He shook his head sadly in response, knowing already that you only had one reason for coming back. Whether he was remorseful for you or for himself, he accepted what was.

"Be safe. It's time for me to be free now."

A small smile flittered across his face that warmed your heart. He was free at last, something you'd dreamed of doing for many months but never had the power to before.