chapter twenty one - conundrum central

For the remainder of that day, you kept your conversations light with Jameson.

He enjoyed the tour and getting to meet every single person at the manor, even down to the gardener. Alfie immediately took to him, noticing how similar you were to each other. With Jameson being a Ravenclaw, he could hold an intelligent conversation with just about anyone, elves included.

After showing him the library on your tour, you knew that was likely where Jameson would be spending a lot of time. Lucius had many old editions of some beloved folk stories and history of the wizarding world. It was right up Jameson's alley.

It had been a very enjoyable day, one filled with nostalgia and memories but most importantly, pure happiness. Nothing compared to being with your brother again after so many months apart.

You ate dinner in your room together, reminiscing on your childhood and things you missed or didn't miss about Hogwarts.

Lucius had checked in one time just to make sure everything was okay, but left soon after you told him everything was perfect.

Which he was glad to hear, after the pain of getting Jameson to come back. But he was equally upset that it wasn't him making everything perfect.

After spending the day inside again and talking about life and America, time had gotten away from you and before you knew it, the sun started to set. You heard through the door the clanging of plates and silverware being placed in the dining room and assumed dinner must be just about ready for the evening.

You were starving, ready to devour whatever meal the chefs had cooked up. Having Draco and Jameson sit civilly together through an entire dinner however sounded quite daunting.

A light knock hit the door of what was now Jameson's bedroom.

"Yes?" you replied, opening the door.

"Excuse me miss, but dinner is ready. Master Lucius would like you both to join him in the dining room at once," the woman said kindly.

"Of course, thank you," you responded with a smile. She bowed her head, and you turned back around to a sleepy Jameson.

"Come on, you can sleep later. You're going to be so stuffed after dinner, the chefs are incredible here."

"Chefs, actual chefs cooking here. It's bizarre really, I don't know how you've gotten used to it. The wealth is a bit much, don't you think?"

"Well, I suppose... but the chefs and servants came slowly over time. They weren't here at first. Lucius has employed them and kept them stable throughout these difficult times which is pretty admirable I think."

"Did you just call him Lucius? I mean yes, you're right, it is great they still have jobs and everything. It just seems a bit crazy that one small family would have the need for professional chefs in their house."

Shit. I did just call him Lucius.

"Just try to be nice Jameson, okay? I know you have your holdups with Draco but don't project it on to everyone else here please. I could never repay them for everything they've done for me."

He got up and followed you back toward the door. "Yes, I do know that and I'm thankful you had someone to watch over you without me here. I really am."

You gave him a half smile and started heading to the dining room with him in tow.

Coincidently, you ran into Draco coming from upstairs at the same time.

You could see him freeze, realizing he was stuck now in this awkward encounter. He calmly walked down the rest of the stairs and came up to you two.

"Hey, Jameson. Did she give you the whole tour yesterday?" he asked casually, making small talk as you three now walked to the dining room.