chapter twenty three - certain

Slowly coming to, you shakily breathed out and opened your eyes.

Blinking repeatedly as the world became less fuzzy, everything suddenly came into focus. You realized you were in a soft warm bed, tucked neatly into the covers and were in a soft long-sleeved shirt. It then dawned on you that you were in Lucius' bed, the interior of the room being vaguely familiar.

Swallowing a few times, your throat felt horribly dry and parched. Like there had been no liquids in or out for too long.

Sticking your tongue out, you swiped upward and tried to wet your dry upper lip with how chapped it was. You inevitably tugged your bottom lip between your teeth and ran your tongue over it too, aching now for some water.

You looked around tiredly, still too sore to move very much. It was then, after a few moments, that the memories rushed in and you were reminded of the heartbreaking, nightmarish encounter you had with Narcissa Malfoy.

The horror, the secrets unleashed and the brutal torture she forced you to endure.

You weren't sure how much time had passed since that night. There were shafts of sunlight peeking through the long, sheer curtains and you knew it was morning, but what morning?

Glancing to the left, hunched over the side of the bed was a resting Lucius. He was seated in a chair next to you with his upper body draped across the bed and his head lying near your legs.

The longer you were awake though, the more the pain started to settle in. It seared through your entire body, right down to your bones. Your ribcage was tight, even your organs felt like they were rearranged somehow.

But your head hurt the worst.

The pain bloomed across your temples and into your skull, a migraine quickly forming. It wasn't a dull pain you could ignore; it was a harsh, unrelenting pain that was rapidly spreading across your head.

"Lu—Lucius," you stuttered out, your voice raspy and broken.

He was in too deep of a sleep to hear your quiet voice.

You — very weakly — managed to move your left hand, slowly grabbing the top of his. Suddenly with your touch, he finally startled awake.

Clutching tightly to your fingers, he just about jumped out of his skin. He seemingly was completely shocked that you were talking, let alone moving.

"You're awake?! No no, tell me this isn't a dream," he cried.

He cupped your face in his hand, tears brimming in his eyes as you realized how poorly he looked. A purple hue lined the bottom of his eyes, his stubble having returned with a vengeance. He looked so exhausted, so sleep deprived.

You looked up at him with a smile but felt yourself starting to slip again, succumbing to the pain.

Lucius immediately noticed your discomfort, cursing underneath his breath at how foolish he was to not imagine the world of pain you'd be in upon awakening.

"Mary get her some water! And her medicine," Lucius yelled over his shoulder.

After a few moments with you going in and out of a half lucid state, the servant finally returned with two pills in her hand and a glass of water.

"Come on honey, you can do this. I know it hurts, but we've got to get some medicine in you." she said, coming to the side of the bed.

Lucius watched her nervously from behind, incredibly worried about you.

She put the first pill in your hand, and you shakily brought it to your mouth, following with a sip of water. Eventually after a bit of fighting, you got it down okay and took the next pill without fuss.