chapter two - crucio

With the slump of your bag against the leg of the oak desk, you timidly sat down.

Detention was at the very end of the day, and you were already worn from your previous classes and all the studying you knew awaited you after this. Goosebumps lined your arms as you shuttered from the cold air circulating the room. It was unusually chilly in the classroom used for detention and you pulled your house sweater tighter around you.

You had foolishly gotten there a few minutes early, which you now regretted, and patiently waited for others to file in along with Carrow. You kept wringing your hands together nervously, trying to sit still and continue telling yourself that this would be over soon. You were completely on edge, knowing all the whispers you'd heard before about this wicked woman's detentions.

A few random classmates came in, no one you really recognized except for one Ravenclaw your brother knew. Everyone seemed pretty occupied with themselves, and you were glad no one was going to bother you for the time being or stir up further trouble.

Carrow's heeled black boots clacked against the ground and she slammed the door shut behind her. Her eyes shifted to each one of us until she realized Draco was in fact, not there. Her thin lips pursed into a tight line, and she immediately enlisted the help of her equally evil brother to find him. She didn't care about Blaise at all, her problems were with Draco. And she'd be damned if she didn't finally get her revenge on him.

For as much as you hated Draco, you cringed now knowing that all hell was going to break loose when she found him. Malfoy had ruined your own brother's last four years at Hogwarts, constantly teasing him and pushing him around. As a typical Ravenclaw, your brother was the non-combative type and let it roll off his back. But it wasn't something you could just forget. It had ruined any type of sympathy you felt for the heathen.

Word traveled fast around campus as to what had happened to Malfoy and his status with Voldemort. With your own future in mind, the 'Lord's' return was not at the forefront. Were you scared? Of course, just like every other student there. But you had accepted long ago that this hell hole was the key to your future and Voldemort returning wouldn't change that. Dumbledore dead, the golden boy Potter gone, Hogwarts had already gone to shit. You just needed to make it through the year.

"My rules are very simple. No talking, no smiling, no moving, no reading, no writing, no looking in my direction. I shall not hear a single noise from anyone in this room," she instructed.

You gulped silently and became very aware of your movement. Trying not to draw attention to yourself, you slowed your breathing and became insanely still. If the rumors were true, you knew she would use the Cruciatus Curse on anyone who upset her or even moved wrong. She was simply that cruel of a woman.

You could not make a sound. Even a screech of your chair leg could make her rage.

She stepped back behind the old wooden desk and clasped her hands together on the tabletop, watching everyone condescendingly. Casting your eyes downward to not meet her gaze, you drew in slow deep breaths to keep yourself from losing your mind for the next hour. Even without looking, you felt her eyes boring into you.

You knew now why so many other students had considered detention with her absolute torture. She quite literally got a buzz off of making it a living hell and even causing you pain while doing it. The crowd you were with today seemed to be the less troublesome kind, and for that you were thankful. There was only so much more horror you could take this year.

After thirty minutes, you had flipped through every possible spell in your memory you thought you needed for your N.E.W.T.s. You even began to count your blinks every minute and try to see if there was a pattern. That's how insanely bored you were, losing brain cells with all this wasted time.

With a loud bang, the door suddenly slammed against the wall and in came Amycus Carrow, Alecto's brother, holding Draco by his collar forcefully. The sound made your eyes shoot up from your desk for the first time since detention started.

Amycus released Draco violently on to the ground and Draco struggled to pull himself up. He looked around frantically, seeming to be quite distraught. Amycus left right after dropping Draco off, knowing what his sister would do next.

"I'm going to-!" Draco began saying, attempting to put on a brave face.

His words became silenced as Alecto used the Cruciatus Curse on him. You immediately closed your eyes and tried to drown out the sound of his screams of pain. The thrashing on the ground, the shrill of his voice that soon became dull as she continued to torment him. It was the most horrifying sound that just wouldn't end.

After what felt like an eternity, the screams finally stopped, and the room went quiet. Small whimpers came out of him, and Alecto was most definitely pleased with her work. You squinted your eyes open and found a crumpled, Draco on the ground who was too tortured to move. Any prior ill feelings for him would've never changed what you felt at that moment.

That no one in the world deserved this.

"I think that'll be enough for today," she said proudly, forcing your eyes up. "You're dismissed."

She left with a sick smirk on her face, and you watched as the other students simply stepped over Malfoy's limp body and kept walking out of the classroom. Even if she had only actually used the curse on him for a miniscule amount of time, the curse was known for doing irreparable damage. Something you hoped Malfoy would not suffer from.

You cautiously got up, being the last one in the room. As you stepped forward to Draco, he had slowly raised himself up on his forearms.

You crouched down and offered your hand to help him up.

"Piss off. I don't need your help," he muttered through gritted teeth.

You could visibly see that every move he kept attempting to make was extremely painful and yet he still wouldn't accept help. His previously slicked blonde hair was now limp and flattened against his forehead, covered in beads of sweat. His suit, priorly perfectly laundered, was now wrinkled against his sore body.

You hated the sight of anyone in such visible pain. It churned your stomach, thinking of how violent Alecto had been to him.

But it at least it confirmed to you that he was not permanently damaged. With a defeated sigh you said nothing else in response to his out-lash. If he didn't want your help, you couldn't change that. You just wish he could've put his pride aside for once.

Alas, you simply stood back up, brushed your uniform off and walked out of the classroom.

Your heart ached and your mind was completely in another world walking back your dorm room. It was days like these, filed with misery and pain, that made you want to leave the wizarding world forever.