chapter twelve - captivating

When Lucius awoke the next morning, the house elf immediately informed him of your rather pitiful disposition. He was only slightly alarmed, knowing of course that it was because of his son that you were feeling so blue.

Lucius was quite agitated by your relationship with Draco, but he knew that it would be short lived. He always got what he wanted, without fail.

And you would be no different.

Just a few rooms down the hall, you unfortunately laid awake all night. The silk sheets and down comforter could not whisk you away to the dream state you so deeply wished for. Instead, your mind was filled with the darkest of thoughts, as you thought of Draco and contemplated the state of the world and where your former classmates were.

The once annoying roommate you could hardly stand, was now dearly missed. The girls who'd gossip in class, the boys who teased you. It never truly dawned on you until that night how many of them were now dead.

It left a pit in your stomach so great, you refused to eat once again in the morning.

The servants who'd come to adore your kind nature, were starting to grow more concerned as well. You were losing any hope that possibly still existed in you, and Draco's rejection made it that much worse.

Fed up with the rather unhelpful words from the help, Lucius decided to take matters into his own hands.

You couldn't really be that bad off, could you?

"Miss, you should really come to the garden," a servant pleaded with you that afternoon. "The gardeners just installed beautiful new topiaries."

You were already about to begin to politely decline when she informed you, "Master Lucius would like you to come join him."

So caught up with Draco and his antics, you had forgotten about Lucius temporarily.

"Lucius wants me to come out to the garden with him?" you asked lightly, the idea becoming more of interest to you.

"Yes, miss."

Contemplating the idea for only another minute, you decided you would join him. You could see through the curtains that it was a bright and sunny June day, and there was perhaps a small piece of you that did want to see him.

For whatever that reason may be...

Pulling out a more attractive outfit from the dresser, you quickly changed, and a servant came to fix your hair how you wanted.

The French styled doors leading out to the garden let in a gush of wind towards you as you stepped outside. Lurking behind one of the perfectly sculpted shrubs was Lucius.

"Why what a pleasant surprise, I'm glad you decided to join me," he said, extending his hand outward for you to take.

"Yes, I decided some fresh air would be nice," you said with a soft tone and a smile. Tentatively taking his hand, you were led down the stone pathway to the new topiaries the servant had informed you of.

"Of course, love. I must say it has been quite unfortunate to not have your graceful presence in the halls as of late," he mentioned, looking at your expression for a response.

"Right, I do apologize sir," you said awkwardly, unsure of what exactly to call him. The last thing you wanted to do was offend him in some way. "No worries, dear, we were all just concerned. My son making a mess of things as usual," he said with a clear distaste in his tone regarding his own son.

"Well, these are quite beautiful," you remarked staring at the topiaries, attempting to change the topic immediately.

"Yes, they are. Though they could never rival your beauty of course," Lucius said with a smirk, gently tousling the hair that laid at your neck.

You inhaled a quick breath, his unexpected touch making goosebumps appear where his fingertips traced. Lowering his hand, you met his eyes for the first time.

A heat rose around your throat and seeped into your cheeks, your heartbeat quickening with it. The look he had in his eyes, was unlike anything you had experienced before. The pure hunger, an overwhelming lingering desire. You could see him trying to restrain it as much as he possibly could, though his eyes would betray him and hover over your chest momentarily.

"Thank you," you finally mustered out, breaking away the eye contact he so deeply held you in.

Lucius cleared his throat abruptly and turned on his heel, staff clicking against the stone pathway. You followed behind him silently although you felt the tension in the air as thick as could be.

"You must know that Draco has been keeping you in the dark," Lucius said abruptly.

"Draco? What am I being left in the dark about?" you asked concerned.

"While many aspects of our world are left in shambles indeed, I have in fact been trying to contact your family."

Draco had not once mentioned your family, or as to if there was any proper way to contact them. Why was he not more forthcoming about all of this? Why would he use you at your weakest and know he was contributing to it?

All you wanted now was to find a way to see your family again, even if it meant talking with Lucius.

"My family? Sir, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate you trying to reach them. Has it proved unsuccessful?" you asked worriedly.

"Unfortunately, so. I will of course continue to try and reach them, but I do have another idea if you're open to it," Lucius offered, as you reached the doors to the mansion.

Desperate to find any way to see your family, you were open to whatever he might suggest.

"Of course, sir, I would be most gracious for your help."

He smiled, ravishing in the appreciation and gratefulness you now had for him, your words only making his ego grow.

"Well, I do have contact still with the most connected families. Perhaps we shall have a dinner sometime?" he suggested, turning to look you in the eyes.

As insufferable as a dinner with uppity, rude wealthy wizards sounded, you would have to make it work if you were to receive any more information regarding your family.

"Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you so much, I truly am so appreciative."

"Of course. I'll have one of the servants bring you a new dress for the occasion as well. Perhaps an emerald necklace to match."

You couldn't help but smile at the thought of all these new items just for you.

Although your parents did pretty well for themselves, you didn't have certain luxuries growing up like lavish necklaces to match gowns just for dinner. The type of wealth the Malfoy's had was something of a wonder to you still.

And the way Lucius doted on you made you melt inside. As much as you hated to only make his ego grow, it felt so nice to be appreciated by someone.

Even if he was twice your age...

and undeniably obsessed with the thought of seducing you.