Chapter Fourteen: A Moment of Thought

Izuku slumped through the front door, tiredly kicking his shoes off.

  " 'm home.." he called.

  Eri immediately came bounding through the hallway, with far more energy than Izuku.

  "Izuku! Did you have fun at school today?" She asked.

  Izuku smiled, picking the girl up and hugging her.

  "Yeah, it was fine. I'm really tired though." He sighed.

  "Grandma Inko said she made Katsudon because of the news. Did something happen?" Eri asked.

  Izuku shook his head.

  "Don't worry, everyone's fine. Some of class 1A got hurt, but Recovery Girl fixed them all up in no time!" He said.

  Eri smiled upon hearing about her mentor.

  "Did she need to use her quirk?" She asked.

  Izuku carried Eri to the table, setting her down in her chair, then slumping into his own.

  "No, they were too tired for that. It was only small cuts and bruises. Recovery Girl just patched them up and sent them home."

  Inko came through to the table and set down three bowls, sitting down in her chair.

  "So, everybody was okay?" Inko asked.

  Izuku nodded, munching on his food.

  "What did you do?" She asked.

  "I had the camera feed open and saw that it was blocked by something. I alerted Nezu, and the teachers all sped off to the USJ. I got the cameras working and distracted the villains with Nezu's robot army." He said.

  Inko sighed.

  "I'm just glad you weren't in there with them. What's UA doing currently?" She asked.

  Izuku smiled at that.

  "I've been hired as UA's computer technician. I'll be spicing up their firewalls, and altering how a few things work to prevent this from happening again. For example, beacons in each facility that send out a constant signal. If the signal is blocked or messed with, Nezu or I get an alert. Cameras will now be set to several frequencies so it's far more difficult to block them." He explained.

  The family finished their meal and Izuku retreated into his room, changing into his pyjamas and clonking out on his bed.

  Izuku didn't dream often, but when he did, shit got wild.

  There was a faceless man as buff as All Might pulling off people's hands and attaching them to his body. Handfucker was there, playing tug of war with All Might in his skinny form. The UA staff were bowing down to Nezu, who was sitting atop a throne of exam papers. There was a second Izuku who was riding Portalboi like a horse as they galloped through swirling portals that resembled Aizawa's capture gear. All of this was going on in the palm of Eri's hand as she looked down at the chaos, smiling adorably.

  Like I said, shit got wild.

  Izuku opened his eyes, even more tired than before he went to sleep. He wrapped his arms around the tiny girl laying on top of him and sighed.

  *The sports festival is coming up soon.. I don't think I'll participate. I've been doing muscle training and picked up some basic self defence, but there's little point in me attending. I can work on the Stain case in the meantime..*

  Nezu had been approached by several hero agencies concerning the Hero Killer's rampage. They wanted an analyst's opinion on his quirk, strategy and movements. The rat had handed the case files over to Izuku.

  "You can think of this as the prelude to your internship after the Sports Festival. The agencies in Hosu believe Stain will attack 2 or 3 more heroes before moving elsewhere. I'll be sending you to work with the Iidaten agency to do some reconnaissance on the area. Maps and reports don't quite capture the feeling you get from that one alleyway, or that abandoned building everyone overlooked." He'd said.

  *Stain's ideals are warped. He has good intentions, and an excellent image of the future, but he's just a murderer now. Only other murderers will support him, unless he kills a hero that wronged you specifically. There are normally two or three weeks between attacks as he plans every little detail.. that gives us time ourselves.*

  Izuku glanced across at his alarm clock. 6:42. Too early to get up, but Izuku wouldn't be going back to sleep.

  The greenette reached down and unplugged his phone, bringing up the Hero news. Stain hadn't struck yet, which was good. The Manual hero agency was joining the investigation though. Maybe they had found some new information?

  Eri yawned, snuggling into Izuku's shoulder. The greenette smiled, stroking her hair.

  Izuku pulled up his contacts, scrolling down to Rat.

  I won't be competing in the Sports Festival. I'd like to go to the Iidaten internship a little earlier than planned. The sooner Stain is stopped the better. I'm sure Ingenium won't mind the help a little earlier than planned.

  Izuku received a reply faster than he'd thought he would.

  I'm sure we can figure something out. The Manual hero agency might have some new information, they were brought into the investigation this morning. Ingenium won't mind our swiftness, he is the turbo hero.

  Izuku snorted, putting his phone away.

  Eri yawned again, opening her tired eyes.

  "Good morning Eri.." Izuku said quietly.

  The little girl smiled.

  "Good morning daddy." She said.

  Izuku's heart almost exploded, but his soft smile just widened.

  "I don't have school today, so we can do anything you want all day!" He told her.

  Eri's eyes lit up.

  "Really? Can I learn about more healing hero stuff?" She asked.

  Izuku nodded, sitting up.

  "Yup! I don't know as much as Recovery Girl, but I'm sure I'll be able to help somehow." He said.