Chapter Sixteen: Conviction

Ingenium was down. It had happened in an instant.

  Stain lashed out with his blade, barely scratching the turbo hero.

  But Izuku knew that was enough.

  The hero killer raised the blade to his face, and licked it with his long tongue. Ingenium had collapsed in the same instant.

  "Turbo hero Ingenium... You.. are a fake hero." The killer said.

  Izuku pressed his distress beacon, making Ingenium's phone buzz. Stain looked down at the device for a moment then back up in Izuku's direction.

  "Who is there? Another fake?" Stain asked carefully.

  Izuku steeled his nerves, stepping round the corner and into the alleyway. The hero killer's eyes widened slightly.

  "A child? Begone boy, I have no qualms with you." He said dismissively.

  Izuku tossed a knife at the killer, making him step away from Ingenium in surprise.

  "Don't worry Ingenium, the other heroes will be here soon!" He said, stepping over the downed hero.

  The hero killer frowned.

  "I do not kill children. But if you persist with getting in my way... I will be forced to take drastic measures. Even if you are just a hero in training." He said.

  Izuku smiled politely.

  "Ah.. I'm not a hero in training. I'm just an analyst with a knife collection. Easy mistake to make, what with the knife throwing and such." He explained.

  The killer seemed to relax slightly.

  "Then you stand even less if a chance trying to protect this fake. Step away from him boy."

  Izuku's mind went a mile a minute, trying to think of a way to stall.

  "Fake hero?" He blurted. "What makes you think Ingenium is a fake hero? Were the other heroes you killed also 'fake'?"

  Stain seemed to grin. It looked horrifying.

  "Heroes in today's society are all about money, fame and power! I work to bring back the good age of heroes, when a hero's only goal was to save people! The only one I deem worthy of the title of hero is All Might!" Stain said.

  Izuku cleared his throat quietly.

  "Um.. All Might is an incredibly high bar to set. He's the greatest hero of all time for a reason. Everyone else can only do their best to be half as great as him!" Izuku said.

  Stain laughed.

  "You understand! The only true hero is All Might! The rest of these fools playing pretend are fakes! Impostors!" He ranted.

  All Might fanboy. Gotcha.

  "But even All Might can't save everyone. If all the fake heroes are purged, who will save the people in the burning building while All Might is stopping a bank heist in the next city over? Who will there be to compare All Might to, to prove he really is the greatest?" Izuku asked.

  Stain seemed to hesitate.

  "There may be others, true heroes, who are out there. I have yet to meet one however."

  Izuku nodded.

  "Well what about underground heroes?" Izuku asked.

  Stain thought for a moment.

  "I see.. underground heroes keep away from the limelight.. they use their weaker quirks in the darkness to stop villains of the night.. yes, thank you boy! Underground heroes are worthy, just like All Might!"

  Izuku prodded Ingenium with his foot, drawing the killer's attention to the hero.

  "What about Ingenium here? What makes him a fake?" Izuku asked carefully.

  Stain scoffed.

  "Ingenium. The Iida family, going back generations, have been heroes. They bask in the limelight, taking money and attention for themselves for as long as they can remember! They parade around in the daylight, showing off to civilians!"

  Izuku nodded.

  "I see your point.. however.. if you were a civilian, fearful every moment of every day that a villain attack would happen around you, or you'd be taken hostage, or hurt by some crazy mass murderer... If you saw a hero in shining silver armour, walking down the street, showing you just how powerful he is.. wouldn't you feel just a little safer?" Izuku asked.

  "I suppose..." Stain grumbled.

  "The family have been heroes for generations because they all look up to the previous generation. Ingenium's little brother goes to UA. He wants to be a hero just like his older brother, who is able to help people, no matter what. Wouldn't you be inspired, if your older brother, sister, mother or father were heroes?" He asked.

  Stain had put his sword away.

  "Well.. if you put it like that..." He muttered.

  "As for all the money the Iida family makes.. about 80 percent of what Ingenium makes goes to charities in the area. The rest he himself uses to build apartments for the homeless, and maybe a cup noodle for his lunch."

  Ingenium flinched. Izuku prodded him with his foot again.

  "Yeah, I saw you at lunch yesterday. You're a hero, you need to eat properly!" He said, prodding the hero again.

  Stain sighed, now completely relaxed in the duo's presence.

  "Alright boy, you've made your point. I apologize Ingenium, I'll be sure to research more thoughrily next time.." he said.

  "Sorry Stain, but there's not gonna be a next time!" A voice said.

  The hero killer looked up, reaching back to draw his sword. He was too late.

  Manual dropkicked the hero killer, binding him with water. Several sidekicks flooded the alleyway and surrounding rooftops.

  Manual grinned at Izuku.

  "Good job Midoriya! Thanks for keeping this oaf alive!" He said, prodding Ingenium with his foot.

  "Can you stop doing that??" He demanded.