Broken Promises

Akira's first coherent thought after she awoke was Shit. Her eyes opened slightly as she took in her surroundings. Something cold and metal rested in between her teeth. In fact, her entire body felt cold, and she could feel the texture of wooden floorboards on her bare skin. Horror washed over her body as she realized that they had strip searched her. She couldn't help but feel slight relief in the fact that she was still wearing her bra and underwear. Another body lay besides her, presumably Eren's.

Akira's eyes closed again and she focused on what she could hear instead. Four heart beats. She recognized two others besides her own: Eren's and Historia's. The last one presumably came from their captor, who was most likely Historia's Father.

"You're special. Royal blood runs through you. You're the only person who can save all of humanity."

Akira's eyes fluttered open again as her fears were confirmed. They would eat her, and then Eren. Or perhaps vice versa, and she would be forced to watch the boy she raised be killed while being able to do absolutely nothing to stop it.

All she do was twist and turn her head in an attempt to not let them blindfold her. Akira's twisting and squirming did nothing to stop them from throwing her in the back of the carriage.

She knew what was coming. Deep down, in the back of her skull and in her bones, she knew. Her thrashing became more and more rigorous as they drew closer to what could be her and Eren's death. Her teeth kept gnawing on the metal bar and her eyes were keeping an eye out for anything that could draw blood, anything at all.

Nothing. Tears started to sting her eyes as she let herself fall still. Absolutely nothing but the deathening noise that filled her ears. She could hear the beat of her and Eren's erratic heartbeats and the calmer ones of the people transporting them. The click clack of the horse hooves against cobblestones was accompanied by the whirring of wheels. What would normally be considered mummers felt like chants and screams.

All that noise felt like rocks crushing her alive. Yet, despite all the noises, she felt more alone and helpless than she had felt in her entire life.

They were going to die, and then Levi was going to blame himself. Knowing that almost made her heart hurt worst than knowing her brother's fate. This wouldn't be the first time that Levi lost someone close to him because of the Scouts.

He had told her up on the rooftop about two weeks into their official relationship. She had been there with him the second time around. He couldn't afford to show it, but she could see it in his eyes. He was haunted by the people he's lost, and she was just adding to the list.

"I won't leave you alone. I promise."

"I'll keep you safe."

In the end, they had both broken a promise.