Chapter 8

𝚔𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝 𝚘𝚏 𝚝𝚑𝚎 𝚗𝚒𝚐𝚑𝚝Gilbert reached out his hand, helping Ruby up, they seemed to have a short conversation before he turned to look at Althea. She was smiling smugly at him, and he glared at her for a spilt-second before looking over to Anne, who Althea was expecting told Ruby they had to leave. "Hello, Althea," Ruby exclaimed, beaming at the girl who stood by the table. She smiled back, noticing Gilbert, who was approaching Althea slowly, waiting for Anne and Ruby to leave. And when they did, he quickly walked over to her. "Is Gilbert Blythe embarrassed?" Althea snorted, wiping her hands of her coat, turning to look at him, a smirk formed on her face. "No, I-I just wanted to know what types of pie those are."

He pointed out, coughing and looking at the pies. "That one is shepherds, and that one is apple cinnamon." She explained, pointing out the pies. He nodded, looking her up at down. "Hey, that's a nice dress." She rolled her eyes, turning to look at the food on the table. "You would have seen it sooner if you would have thought to come and visit me. "She mumbled sneaking a quick glance at him before straightening her back. "Althea, you know my dads ill, I wanted to visit you, but I couldn't I-" She cut him off by breathing out, a few pieces of hair falling into her face." Sorry, sorry, I overreacted." Althea sighed, wiping her hands on her dress. She smiled over at Gilbert, hugging her cost closer to her body, "Goodbye, Gilbert."

The sweet scent of roses filled Althea head as she stepped into her well lit home. It was rather dark-and cold-she had been busy delivering a pie to the Gillis's. She smiled at her mother, removing her coat and hat, placing them on the hooks displayed by the door. "Althea, dear, could you please set the table. For three, please." Althea raised an eyebrow, turning around rather quickly."Mrs. Williams there are only the two of us" "maybe, but mr Williams is coming home early tonight!" After flashing a warm smile to Susan, she grabbed the plates, forks, and knives from the counter. She was smiling very wide as she set them down, Mrs Williams setting the pie, bread, and roast beef down on the table. "Bernard, darling, please sit down. I've made a special dinner tonight." Susan sighed, smiling down at her two children. Mr. Williams sat down across from Althea so they could talk about the wonders of his trio. The night ended wonderfully, the three of them full, their minds happy, and set on the next day full of adventures and new ideas. Gilbert smiled at the familiar blonde hair of Althea. He ran up behind her, placing a hand on her shoulder. She screams d a bit, turning around and sighing in relief. he looked rather confused but noticed the smile plastered on her face. "Why are you so happy?" he questioned, staring at the girl. And she giggled, spinning around while walking. He looked rather confused as to why the girl was acting like this, she was never really a morning person."Mr Williams came back early! I mean, I never suspected him to come back at all after the argument the Williams couple had a couple of months ago, he said he was going to be gone for a very long time.  Oh, this is such a wonderful time." She exclaimed, her hands rubbing over the lace at the end of her sleeves.

 "That is very nice, Althea." he smiled down at her, his messy brown hair blowing softly in the wind. She giggled, a jumping up the stairs leading to the doors of the school. She opened them quickly, placing her things down on her hook messily, and running over to her seat next to Ruby. She was very excited to tell her what had happened. "Ruby, I would like to inform you that Mr Williams came home." Ruby's eyes widened, and she gasped, placing a hand over her mouth as she stared at her. Althea smiled at the back of the red-haired girls head that sat in front of her. She turned her head, noticing Gilbert staring at her. She smiled ever so slightly, turning her head to the front of the room.

Althea's classmates were screaming and laughing as the spelling bee was in action. But she was staring down at her desk, feeling a bit sad. She didn't know why the glances Anne and Gilbert shared while they were standing at the front of the room affected her so much, but she did not like it. She found herself tracing shapes and letters on the desk, her mind racing. She felt a wave of panic pass through her body as she thought of things that could happen to her brother while he was away. She hated moments like this, where her mind was scattered, and she could only focus on the horrible thoughts, not the lovely ones. She glanced up, noticing a small smile plastered on Anne's face, Gilbert smiling at her. He quickly glanced at Althea, but she turned away, feeling a strong wave of anger wash over her body. Her fingers clenched as she stared at the board intently, not daring or look at Gilbert who she knew was staring at her.She felt something hit her head, she turned to look at it as it tumbled to the ground.

 A small piece of chalk supposedly one of the boys. She glared at Gilbert who was slightly out of his seat at looking at her rather confused. She scowled, turning her head bald to the board. The sweet scent of roses filled Althea's head as she stepped into her well lit home. It was rather dark-and cold-she had been busy delivering a pie to the Gillis's. She smiled at her mother, removing her coat and hat, placing them on the hooks displayed by the door. "Althea, dear, could you please set the table. For three, please." Althea raised an eyebrow, turning around rather quickly. "Susan, there is only two of us. There is no need for three-" Althea was cut off by a gasp escaping her own mouth. Mr Williams had just walked down the stairs, a face she expected to never see ever again. "Hello, Althea." Althea giggled, running over to her new father figure and wrapping her arms around him.

He laughed into her hair, breathing in the scent. She pulled apart, squealing and jumping up and down a bit. She sighed, her eyes trained on his face. "I thought I would never see you again, Bernard!" She exclaimed, walking into the kitchen. She grabbed the plates, forks, and knives from the counter. She was smiling very wide as she set them down, he mother setting the pie, bread, and roast beef down on the table." Bernard, darling, please sit down. I've made a special dinner tonight." Mrs Williams sighed, smiling down at her two children. Mr Williams sat down across from Althea so they could talk about the wonders of his travels. The night ended wonderfully, the three of them full, their minds happy, and set on the next day full of adventures and new ideas.