Chapter 9: Noatak's secret

When I woke up, I groaned and rubbed my eyes, looking around. I soon found out that we were in a small cell in an attic-like room. Tarrlok was lying next to me and looked banged up, but would be physically fine.

'We lost our bending.' I thought as I looked at my balled fists sadly, then at Tarrlok who was still unconscious, yet for someone who just lost his bending, he seemed rather peaceful. 'Maybe he is. His father forced him to be a bloodbender. Maybe he is at peace now that it's gone.' I thought as I got up and walked to Tarrlok, gently shaking him.

"Tarrlok? Wake up." I said.

"What?" Tarrlok groaned as he opened his eyes and looked at me weakly.

"Are you okay?" I asked as I sat by his side and looked at him sadly.

"For as far as someone who just lost his bending can be okay." Tarrlok gruffly said as he looked to the side.

"What do we do now?" I asked as I looked at Tarrlok sadly.

"Nothing. I'm afraid we're stuck without our bending to defend ourselves." Tarrlok said as he looked down.

"Well, you're rid of the curse that was your bloodbending, at least." I carefully said as I looked around the small cell to see where we had been locked up. All I saw was a bucket and outside the cell was a small table with some wooden tools on them.

'I still feel quite strong. This could mean the block is either temporarily or Amon failed to take my bending.' I started my thoughts but stopped as Amon came in with a tray with two wooden bowls of food.

"You're careful around two people who lost their bending." I remarked as Amon put the bowls through the bars.

"Tarrlok lost his bending. You somehow didn't. I couldn't cleanse you of your impurity." Amon said with a solemn voice as he sat down and looked at me as Tarrlok got his food and slowly started to eat.

"My powers?" I mumbled as I looked at my hands, realizing I hadn't lost my powers.

'How did every bender including Tarrlok lose his bending and I didn't?' I thought as I sat down and started eating as well.

'Your fairy powers. You only miss one element. Your bending is protected by your Voortrix powers.' Feria's voice said.

'I can't lose my bending. But Tarrlok is supposed to be a bending fairy as well. How can he fulfill his destiny without his waterbending?' I asked.

'He can get it back once he mastered all the remaining elements.' Feria answered me.

"Sounds great but will he be a bloodbender again as well?" I asked her as I eyed Tarrlok from where I was sitting. He was calmly eating his food. No sign of sadness about the loss of his bending. He just seemed to be deep in thought.

"Bloodbending is simply a waterbending technique that he chooses to use. So if his Waterbending returns, he will have to decide to use it for Bloodbending." Feria said wisely.

"Thanks, Feria." I smiled before I opened my eyes, seeing Amon still sitting there, watching me, observing us as Tarrlok and I ate. Then he just... went away.

Tarrlok's POV

As we ate I observed Amon just as he was clearly observing me. For him it must just be amusing to watch his prey eat away their meals in their cells but for me it was to see if i could find something, anything that was familiar about him. I had felt a strange sensation when Amon had taken my bending.

'It can't be. But if what Femke said is true, it could be him.' I thought as I ate in silence. So did Femke, which was unusual for her. She was sitting silently before her bowl, looking like she was meditating.