Chapter 5

Your POV:
I fluttered my eyes open before jolting upright, immediately regretting doing so. I lay back down carefully, taking in my surroundings. The room was white, as were the sheets. A small lamp on a bedside table sat next to the bed with a single chair drew to the side of the bed. As my eyes began adjusting to the bright light within the room I noticed the chair was occupied by none other than the ravenette.

I tried not to stare at his features as I furiously attempted to piece together where I was and why I was there. I closed my eyes for a brief moment before reliving the events that led to this moment. I was fighting against a High-Grade curse. The last thing I remember was summoning my phoenix before passing out.

"You're awake." The ravenette's voice snapped me from my thoughts.

"Yeah. I just woke up. Where am I?" I ask.

"The medical wing at Jujutsu Tech." Fushiguro answers.

He had this saddened look in his eye. As if someone was lost that day. I didn't dare ask because I didn't want him to relive what happened at the reform school. I slowly sat up in the bed, ignoring the pain as I watched Fushiguro's normally stoic expression turn to one of worry.

"Don't move around too much. You're still healing." Fushiguro says.

"I'm fine." I comment.

"Shouko couldn't heal everything. You still have two fractured ribs so please don't move too much." Fushiguro says.

"I never took you as the worrying type." I tease.

"You could've died but you risked your life for the three of us." Fushiguro says, not looking at me.

"But I didn't die. If it weren't for me using my domain then yes." I say.

"Why did you insist on taking on the High-Grade by yourself? We're a team, you know? You can rely on us." Fushiguro asks.

"Because... you shouldn't have been placed on that mission. And I couldn't just stand by and willingly let you die trying to fight a curse that was well above your own sorcery grade." I say.

His gaze shot to the floor. Did I say something wrong?

"Itadori he... he died..." Fushiguro says, not looking at me.

"What?" I say in disbelief.

"It was Sukuna. He somehow took over Itadori and was holding Itadori's body hostage. His last words were for the three of us and Sensei to live long." Fushiguro says.

"Fushiguro I-I'm sorry I couldn't save him." I say as a stray tear fell down my cheek.

"That wasn't on you. You did everything you could to make sure we all had a chance of surviving." Fushiguro pauses. "And please. Call me Megumi." He finishes.

"You know why I don't use my given family name? Because I despise it. I don't want the label of coming from a well-known sorcery family like the Gojo's or the Zen'in's. I'm my own person. Even if I do come from a strong line of sorcerers." I comment.

"So you come from one of the main sorcerer families?" Megumi asks.

"Yes but unlike those families I cut my ties to them. I am my own person. So I need not use such given names when they aren't even necessary." I reply.

"It's a justified reason." Megumi comments.

"L/N..." I mumble.

"L/N? Weren't they the sorcerers who passed down the flame Shikigami? It's the only clan known to obtain such powerful Shikigami but not every member can summon both." Megumi comments.

"Correct. Within the clan there are a total of two Shikigami one can wish to summon. A fox and a phoenix. If you can summon both, you are worthy of the sorcery title. I didn't even wait to find out if I was." I say.

"You can summon both, can't you? I heard a fox and I'm sure the phoenix was carrying you. How were you able to have the phoenix active if you were unconscious?" Megumi asks.

"You sure do ask a lot of questions, don't you?" I say with a chuckle when I wish I didn't.

"Ow." I say, placing a hand on my side.

"That's what you get for making jokes." Megumi wittily remarks.

"Oi. Do you want to know more about my lineage or not? You want to know how strong I am right?" I remark.

"Alright. Go on." He says.

"Yes you're correct. I can summon both. About how I was using my Shikigami even though I was unconscious? I was subconsciously using my cursed energy. When you have a few years to train you pick up certain things that really help." I say.

The room went silent before Megumi stood up from the chair beside the bed.

"It's getting late so I'll let you rest." He says before leaving.

Was he always this kind? It must be because I protected Itadori from having to fight that curse. If I didn't intervene, it would've been Itadori who was fighting that curse as well as Sukuna taking over. I intervened in the conversation and prevented it from happening by offering myself. I was a high enough grade to take on the curse so it only seemed right that I was the one to stay behind.

Come to think of it, did they find Kugisaki? I'm assuming Megumi did. His Jade Hounds were probably the key in finding her.

Continuing to think of what else happened that day, I could feel myself slowly drifting off into sleep again. I was hoping. Begging I wouldn't receive the nightmares I was so used to. But at this rate, it's quite easily a given. As soon as my eyes fully closed, I felt myself drift off into sleep. I had no more cares now that I was asleep.

Yet, the constant thought I had was why did Itadori die so easily? He had the second highest cursed energy of the four of us. Surely nothing as small as a fight for control would've caused this, right? He'd managed to contain Sukuna up until now, so what changed?

Unless he subconsciously made a pact with Sukuna. If that's the case, that's bad news. Knowing what happened on this case would mean I'd have to report everything that happened to Gojo so he could inform the higher-ups. Since becoming a Special Grade, I have refused to meet with them for the simple fact they want me gone. Because of me being an anomaly. Even if I came from a long lineage of Special Grade sorcerers.

The only real questions I could think of was what pact did Itadori make with Sukuna? Is Itadori alive? Why did the higher-ups send us on that mission? Why was Gojo's business trip timed at the same time as our mission?

Something dodgy is happening and I for one don't like it. Fair enough Sukuna poses a threat to society does not mean they must get rid of the vessel who was managing to keep him at bay minus the incident at the reform school. There must be something Sukuna offered that Itadori agreed to. Why else would he be declared as dead? I refuse to believe that Itadori did actually die that day. And something else is occurring behind the scenes. But I can't figure out what.