Chapter 11

Happy New Year everyone!  And congradulations all for surviving the December 21st end-of-the-world!  As a gift to all, here's the next chapter.  It doesn't progress the story much, but it gives you a glimpse of the past.  I hope you all like it and find it interesting.  Thanks for reading, and have a wonderful 2013!!!

Adios,

CC

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 11

            David groaned and rolled over.  He was sore all over, and could feel the remains of too many lacerations.  He’s normally a fast healer—most Shifters were—but even his body has a limit.  After what he did to it the night before, his body was going to need a few days before he would be fully healed.

            He lifted his head, groaning again as he forced his strained neck muscles to work.  He looked down at his naked body and looked at all the cuts and bruises covering it.  There were more than he thought.  No wonder he was in such pain.

            Squinting his eyes against the bright light of the sun, he looked around to see where he was.  Tree, tree, tree, rock, tree, house—his house.  He was in the woods behind his house.  His neighborhood was recently built, so when the pack moved a lot of them moved to this new neighborhood, even though not all the houses were finished.  It was a good neighborhood for them, because the woods were right in their backyards.

            David tried curling up to sitting position but at first try realized his abdominal muscles were far too sore to be able to use.  He rolled onto his stomach and pushed himself up. As soon as he was standing he swayed and fell against the tree next to him.  There was no bark on the tree.  That was when he noticed the scratch marks and the pieces of bark scattered over the ground.

            Oh yeah, he did that.  Whoops.

            After a moment, he had mostly maintained equilibrium and could stand.  He looked ahead to his house and saw the broken glass of the back porch door he had shattered the night before.  He knew there would be a mess inside the house as well.

            His mom was going to kill him.

            Knowing it was better to start picking up the ruin now, rather than later when his mom got back with the pack, David made his way toward the house.  The more he moved, the more his muscles loosened.  They still hurt like hell, but they would get better eventually.  At least he knew that pain would go away.

            You’re a monster. Her voice screamed at him.  He shook his head, trying to get rid of it.

            It wasn’t until he stepped up onto the wooden flooring of the porch that he was able to clearly see the damage of the house.  There were scratch marks carved into the floor and furniture, the tables—kitchen, dining room, and coffee—were upturned, the contents scattered and broken on the floor.  Lamps lay in pieces on the floor next to shredded cloths, curtains, and books.  Blood, his, painted the various surfaces.

            This was going to be a bitch to clean.  What had he been thinking, coming home?  Why hadn’t he stayed in the woods, shredded up a few trees instead of his whole house?  Better yet, why hadn’t he stayed with the pack like he was supposed to?

            But David knew why.  He had to see her.  For some crazy, unknown reason, he had to run home and see her.  He hadn’t even meant to approach her.  But when he saw her alone…and then she was cold…