Chapter 15

Okay, firstly, I'm so so so sorry I took so long to post.  Seriously, I feel horrible about that.  I hadn't even realized how long it had been.  Secondly, I'm sorry this chapter sucks.  I've been suffering through writer's block for the past few weeks and this is what came out of it.  It's pretty slow and boring, kind of a filler.  But the part that comes next I wanted to do well, and I knew I needed a better mindset for it it come out how I wanted it to, so I put it off for a chapter, and this is what resulted. So even though I think this is a bad chapter, I still hope that you guys all like it.  Thanks for reading, and I hope you enjoy this.

And I promise to try updating earlier this time!

--------------------------------------------------

Chapter 15

            I had to hide my jitters during dinner.  I didn’t want to act normal and controlled.  I wanted to think freely of that afternoon, of the windswept emotion that rushed through me when I thought of David. 

We kissed. Kissed.  I kissed a werewolf—and could still feel fire coiling in me, the energy of desire.  I wanted to replay the feeling of it in my mind, the warmth, the novelty.  I could feel my skin begin to flush anew and forced myself to concentrate on other things.

Like how the snow peas on my plate were much neglected next to my pasta shells.  Or the story my mother was sharing about the neighbors.  Or the way my father was glancing at me every so often, as if he knew what I was trying not to think about.  Or how my little sister Marissa was wearing a bug-eyed expression as she watched her own hands glow as she created light between her fingers.

Any of this I should have been thinking about. 

My mother finished her story and I laughed weakly with my father and Topher, pretending like I had been listening to the whole thing and hoping she wouldn’t notice.  She didn’t, too busy laughing at her own story.

“Marissa, stop it,” my mother hissed, finally noticing what my sister was up to.

Marissa pouted and dropped her hands into her lap. “When I can I learn how to make it light leave my hands, mommy?” She inquired, her wide eyes turned towards my mom and her curled hair tumbling over her forehead.

I saw my mother’s eyes flash over to me before she smiled down at Marissa. “Maybe if you’re good, Leila will show you.”

I tensed at this, realizing I had been involuntarily brought into the discussion. “What?  Why me?”

Marissa made a high pitched squeal sound and looked at me, excitement blooming on her face. “Sissy!”

I frowned at my mom. “You know physical magic isn’t my focus, mom.”

She waved her hand in reply, unconcerned. “It’s small, Leila.  Just show her how to send light sparks from her fingers.”

I sighed before smiling at Marissa. “I’ll show you, okay?  After dinner.”

She smiled widely and clapped her hands three times, making them glow on the last one. 

It was adorable, and I wished I were as enthusiastic as she was about the lesson.  But I didn’t want to show my sister magic.  I didn’t want to show anyone anything.  I really just wanted time alone with my thoughts.

But then, in my family, it was never about what I wanted.

I showed Marissa how to send light sparks from her fingertips.  The light looked like little fireworks falling in the air.  They were harmless, though a little hot it if one fell on open skin.  The little light sparks were nothing but excited electrons in the air.