Chapter 9

I know, I know, I'm a horrible person for not uploading sooner.  Honestly, I feel really guilty about it.  But it's my first semester at college and I'm really busy and trying to do well in my courses.  The few times I've sat down to get some of this written I met a wall and couldn't get more than a few sentences written.  But I'm going to try to write more often, because it's been bothering me that I haven't been writing much.  Also, sorry this is kind of a slow chapter.

Anyway, I hope you like it and thanks for reading!  Happy Thanksgiving!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9

“I just don’t understand how all this is interesting to you,” Topher commented, his nostrils flared as if he spelled something bad.  “They’re all so…mundane.”

My jaw clenched at his supremacist tone.  I reminded myself that Topher had been a student at the most prestigious witch academy in the world, well known for his skill—although I still didn’t know what  this skill was—and known to be very powerful for someone his age.  He most likely thought himself above other witches, like those stereotypical ivy people who bragged about their degree in the face of all others; of course he would think of himself above regular mundane humans.

“They have nothing interesting in their auras,” he continued, oblivious to my reaction. “They’re predictable.  Look,” he pointed to a small girl with straight brown hair who was quickly walking along on the sidewalk, “stressed over a chem exam and in obvious need of a relaxant.” He pointed to someone else, “concerned that his girlfriend is cheating on him, and he’s”—pointing to someone else—“worried that he’s finally become an alcoholic, whereas she’s concerned about all the weight she’s gained this year and what she’s going to look like in a bikini this summer.  Not that she would have looked good before,” he added  rudely.

I looked over at the girl he was talking about.  She was average height, with burgundy hair, obviously dyed.  She wasn’t fat, but she had a bit of waist.  I was sure she still looked good in a bathing suit.

“And he—”

“I get it,” I snapped, interrupting him. “You think they’re boring and predictable and ugly and stupid.”

I didn’t let him know that their open auras was what I liked about them.  Humans were so open about their lives, and lived easily.  They thought about themselves and individuals within a group, not as a piece of the group.  I wished I had been raised like that, with the freedom to do what I wanted.  I wish I had the freedom to be open with people I just met; to be open with people I’ve known my whole life.  Heck, I just wished I could be open with someone instead of being afraid that if I let my mind fall for one second, it would get invaded and I would lose my own mind.

“I think they’re a waste of your time,” he stated bluntly.

I froze in place and felt air crack against my palm.  Topher took two steps forward before realizing I had stopped.  He turned, an expectant expression on his face.

“They’re not objects,” I said quietly. “They’re people.  They feel, they think.  And if they bore you so much, you can leave.”

His blond eyebrow rose. “You mean to tell me you find something interesting about them?  If you find their auras so interesting to read, maybe you’re not as good as I was told.”

I felt my cheeks heat at his words, although I wasn’t entirely sure why. “I like being around them.” They’re comforting, I didn’t add.  I would never expose that weakness to Topher. He’s the type of person who would use your weakness against you at your lowest point, bringing you even lower, until you, too, felt you were beneath him.