Chapter 8

Chapter 8

            “Oh no,” Kaelyn groaned as she finished reading a text message.

            “What is it?” I asked.

            She looked at me, a frown on her face. “Kara’s having a crisis.”

            Kara, I knew, was one of Kaelyn’s best friends.  The three of us had hung out many times before and I considered her a friend of mine as well, but not a ‘best’ friend.  It was a bit difficult being close with someone who knew absolutely nothing about witches or werewolves or shifters or anything supernatural.  I was always having to hide a huge part of who—and what—I was.  Kara, last I knew, was completely clueless.

            “What’s the matter?” I asked with concern.

            Kaelyn sighed. “I’ll give you one guess.”

            I nodded. “The werewolf,” I supplied, knowing full well it was the cause of the crisis.

            Kara had a crush on a werewolf since the pack first moved in a couple months back.  Kaelyn told me he returned her feelings but was hesitant to make a move.  It made sense: he was a werewolf, she was an ignorant human, and high school is pretty young to fall in love and change the course of your life forever.  Whatever the reason as to why they were not together, it’s been causing the occasional crisis for Kara.  One day Kyle was sweet and loving—and sometimes even kissed her—and other days he ignored her and avoided eye contact.

            It seemed today was one of the latter days.

            “Are you going to cheer her up?” I asked as I placed coffee cake muffins on a pan.

            Kaelyn sighed heavily.  “I was hoping she would cheer me up.”

            I paused what I was doing and, frowning, asked why.

            Kaelyn checked her phone again but put it back in her pocket when she saw there were no new messages.

            “Well, you know the full moon’s coming up,” she started.

            I nodded.  Of course I knew.  I could feel my power at its weakest point.  It was a time when witches were never caught alone, especially outside.  Shifters were at their peaks; even a strong witch knew a confrontation was risky.  The pack would be powerful for the next few days, and the coven had to lie low.

            “Aaron’s dad decided the pack would benefit from an…extended run.  Instead of running around these woods for a few nights, they’re heading west and joining up with a pack and running together, or something.  Basically,” she sighed, “Aaron is going to be gone for the next few nights.”

            I raised my eyebrows and gave her a look that said ‘separation anxiety much?’

            “It’s not that he’s going to be gone for a few days,” she amended, “it’s that…well, things haven’t been good between us lately, and I hate that he’s leaving for a few days right now, when everything is rocky between us.”

            “Why don’t you settle things when he gets back?”

            Kaelyn sighed again.  “We can.  It’s just that Aaron’s going to be stresses with helping his dad maintain order, and all the stuff that’s being going on.  I don’t want his to leave thinking things are bad between us.”