Chapter 4

Chapter 4

I looked at myself in the mirror, trying to decide if I wanted to buy the new top or not. It was a bright red tank top, with a lower swoop than I usually wore. It showed just the top of my breasts and hung loosely down by torso. Still, it made me look feminine and pretty. I almost wanted to buy it, but I didn't know when I would wear it.

Witches dressed conservatively, my mothers voice sang in my head, a memory from all her repeated lectures.   She had always been afraid I would succumb to lecherous habits from the influence of public school.

But I wanted to have something nice to wear, something pretty.   Feeling pretty gave someone confidence.  I always felt pretty after the new moon.  Was it really fair that I only felt pretty for two days every month?

I signed, knowing I wasn't going to get this shirt.  Pulling it off, I replaced the store shirt with my own loose button up grey blouse before walking out of the changing room of the store.

            I didn't really have a reason to go shopping, but it was a Sunday afternoon and I didn't feel like going home just yet. Anyway, it was a nice day out, and in a small town there wasn't much to do besides shop along the main street.  This particular store was a small clothing shop that I liked to visit, but rarely bought anything.  I liked the environment of the store and the clothes.

I walked over to the rack I had been picking through before to put the shirt back where I found it.  I took one more look at the shirt and sighed before putting it back on the rack.

"I think you should get it."

I jumped at the familiar voice, my breath catching for a moment.  I turned around to glare at the familiar face.

"Really," David's deep voice continued, "I think you would look nice in it.  Red would look good against your skin."

I frowned at his compliment. "What are you doing here?"

He smiled, a mischievous glint in his eyes. "A guy can't go shopping with a friend?"

"We're not friends!" I snapped. "And no, he can't. Guys just don't go shopping with girls."

"Not yet, but we will be soon,” he said, referring to us not being friends.  “And I never got that.  Girls dress to impress guys, right? So why don't girls ask our opinions when shopping?"

"If girls let guys tell them what looks good, we would all be walking around in lingerie."

"You'll hear no complaints from me," he stated in a serious tone laced with tease.  I turned and glared at him, but all he did was crack a smile before turning back to the rack.  He pulled out a purple silk top. “How about this one?”

“When would I ever wear something like that?” It was pretty, sure, but not something I would wear.  It was sleek and nice, but not ‘me.’  It looked to be cut lower than the red one I had tried on.

“You could wear it on our next date.”

“There will not be a next date,” I said quickly.  A moment after, his words caught up with me and I snapped at him. “Wait, ‘next’?  We’re not even on a date now!”

            “Of course!” he exclaimed as he hit his forehead dramatically, “where are my manners?”            He grabbed my two hands in his and tugged me forward so we were standing closer than comfortable.  I was hyperaware of my hands in his larger ones, the heat making my hands begin to sweat.  His brown eyes peering into mine with intensity and a seriousness I would never have associated with David.