Chapter 13

Well, winter break is ending for me.  I go back to college Monday, and I won't have as much time to write as I have had these past few weeks.  Hopefully I will update more than I did in the fall, but no promises.  I'm hoping I'll get to update every 2 or 3 weeks.  I know this isn't a lot, but school is kinda more important.  Sorry.

Anyway,I hope you all enjoy this chapter.  I rewrote the ending a few times, and I can't decide whether I like it better now or before.  As always, thanks for reading, and enjoy!

-----------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13

            “Eric’s the DM right now, but his campaign is almost over, and Sean’s already been DM, and Luke is too new to be a good DM, so I think it’s my turn.  I’m really excited about it.  I’m thinking about having it set in a fire realm.  Wouldn’t that be so cool?  There would be a ton of fire monsters and stuff and like a fire castle!”

            My cousin, Shay, looked at me with such enthusiasm on his face that I felt bad for not having listened to a single word he was saying.  Shay was really into Dungeons and Dragons and had a group of friends that he gamed with every weekend, sometimes during the week too.  I never got his obsession.  He pretended to have magical abilities in this game, but he actually had magic in him; he just never used it.  I never understood it.

            I tried to, for his sake.  I listened when he told me about his campaigns and adventures and sometimes gave him feedback, but I didn’t have it in me that day to listen.  I had way too much on my mind.

            I nodded at him, trying to seem as enthused as him. “Mhm, that’s great,” I said.

            Shay frowned at me. “You weren’t listening to a word I said were you?”

            “I was,” I protested half-heartedly. “Fire, you were talking about fire.”

            He shook his head. “You are so lost in your head this afternoon.”

            Kaelyn turned around from the customer she just helped and joined in the conversation. “Let it go, Shay.  She’s going to be lost all afternoon.  Leila has boy troubles.”

            I crossed my arms and glared at her.

            Kaelyn laughed. “Well you do.  It’s not like he doesn’t suspect anything.”

            Shay nodded. “It’s true.  I’m not a complete oblivious idiot, you know.”

            I turned away and started preparing a fresh pot of coffee. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

            “You should be using me as a resource, Leila.  I’m a guy after all.  I know how a man’s brain works.”

            I rolled my eyes and made a disbelieving sound. “Not this man,” I mumbled.

            Shay leaned against the counter next to where I was preparing the coffee. “That’s true.  I don’t know how the mind of a werewolf works, but—”

            “Shay,” I hissed, looking around to make sure no one heard him.

            “No one’s listening,” he scoffed.

            “You don’t know that,” I snapped. “And I don’t know what you’re talking about anyway,” I added too quickly.

            Shay rolled his eyes. “Like I don’t notice the way you watch him when he’s here, or the way he watches you.  And even if I didn’t notice, the way you guys interact is totally—”