Chapter 9: Trapped

The walker's growls and knocking was enough to drive someone insane. We had been stuck in here for almost half an hour with no signs of anyone taking care of the horde outside. Why weren't we moving? 

     "We have to do somethin" I told Daryl from across the van.

     "Ain't nothin' we can do." Daryl said, as he looked at his feet emotionless.

     I stood up from the floor of the van and turned to the side behind the front of the van. I began banging on the wall, demanding we know what was going on.

     "Hey! Hey! Hello? Hey!" I screamed, to which I got no reply.

     Sasha stood up. "What the hell do you think you're doing?" She angrilly asked. "Do you want to draw in any more walkers than there already are??"

     "Well sittin' here doin' nothin' isn't going to solve anythin'!" I screamed back.

     "How about you sit your ass down like the rest of us and wait!" She yelled back.

     "Don't talk to my sister like that!" Maggie interfered.

     "No, this girl has been getting on my last nerve the moment we got her out that hospital. She thinks she's some tough bitch, but she's not." She turned back towards me, "She's pathetic."

     "Screw you! You think I wanted this? Yeah, you guys would have been better off without me. I should have just died at that hospital!" I screamed at Sasha with tears running down my face.

     Daryl immediately lunged from the opposite side of the van and gave me a hug. I knew he felt awkward doing it in front of everyone, but none of them understand what Daryl and I went through. I honestly missed the days of Daryl and I being alone. Not just because of him, but because of all this drama. I feel completely alone in this group of people. Everyone has grown cold since the prison attack, and I don't feel at home like I used to.

     "Back off bitch." I heard Sasha tell my sister as she approached her.

     "Unless you want to be tossed out this van, sit down, and SHUT UP." -Maggie must have scared her, because she immediately sat back down after that.

     Nearly three more hours passed stuck in the back of that van. I had fallen alseep leaning on Daryl's shoulder for atleast an hour of the time. The walkers still surrounded the van, and there was no sign of help. I had almost lost all hope, but through the muffled sounds of walkers, I heard gunfire ring throughout the area.

     "COME ON!" I heard a muffled voice that seemed to sound like Rick's.

     I heard a loud banging on the back door of the moving van. The sound sounded more human than anything. Everyone shuffled to their feet and prepared for whatever was behind that door.

     "On three." Glenn said. "One.....two.....THREE." and he swung the door up, and hopped out.

     I was second to last to jump out.  Daryl trailed behind me in case anything went wrong. Walkers surrounded the entire perimeter of the van. It was the biggest horde I've ever seen. I was quickly grabbed a hold of by a walker nearly twice my size. Before it even got close to biting me, Daryl grabbed it by its head and slammed it up against the van. He quickly grabbed me by the arm and guided me through a narrow path through the walkers.

     By the time we reached the edge of the woods, the group was nowhere to be seen. We quickly ran through the woods, making sure no walkers could follow our direction. It reminded me of the day we lost the prison. It was just Daryl and I, for who knows how long, trying to survive. We ran for what seemed like ten minutes, until we came upon a clearing in the woods. I managed to find an old tree stump to sit on, and I took a few sips of the water I had left

     "You doin' okay?" Daryl asked, clearly out of breath.

     "As okay as I'll ever be." I answered, staring into the woods.

     "I'll tell you what." Daryl started. "I'd take runnin' from walkers any day over listenin' to Sasha bitch and moan all day."

     I managed to chuckle at Daryl's joke. I couldn't stand Sasha. She takes every chance she gets to try to call me out. Daryl may have been joking, but I really would rather be running from walkers than deal with her. I stood up and placed the rest of the water inside my bag.

     "We should go." I told him.

     The best part of surviving with Daryl was his tracking skills. We managed to find the tracks of some people, most likely the rest of our group.

      "You know, I taught you this stuff before. You should be doin' this." Daryl told me as he checked the dirt for more tracks.

      "You're better." I laughed.

      "I still need to teach you how to shoot my crossbow. Your aiming last time wasn't the best, if I remember correctly. " He laughed, but only for a moment.

     We cam3 out of the woods, and I spotted something in the distance. It was the largest place I'd ever seen. As we got closer, I could make out the sign just by the enclosure.

The Alexandria Safe Zone

     A bullet skid past my leg, purposely missing my ankle.

     "HALT!" I heard a yell from the top of the enclosure.  "Stop where you are!"

     "Wait! They're with us!" I recognized Aaron's voice. Out of the woods came Aaron and the rest of our group. They made it.