Chapter 15: The Release

There we were, standing in the open meadow on the outside of the wall. The meadow was full of tulips, my favorite. I'd only been behind the walls for a week, but I missed the feeling of adventure that Alexandria didn't have to offer. Noah knelt down, plucking a tulip through the dense grass, and handed it to me.

     "How sweet." I smiled and chuckled at his gesture as I placed it in my bag.

     "We better head out." He smiled back.

     I had a good idea where the search group went for supplies. I heard talk about an old town through the woods, untouched due to the large amounts of walkers that occupied the area. I felt uneasy knowing that the group may have met their demise in that very town. I was going to find out.

     "That way," I pointed to the left, "I'm pretty sure it's that way."
Wow that's really reassuring, I thought.

     We walked for nearly ten minutes down an old dirt road with no sign of a town. Finally, while heading down a slight hill, I could see a town in the distance.

     "Stay near...you're not armed." I told Noah as I readied my gun and walked towards the town.

     "I'm not?" Noah pulled out a revolver from the back of his pants and waved it around.

     "Do you even know how to use that thing?" I asked him, laughing at his childish waving.

     "I'll learn." He said, as he began to fidget with the weapon.

     We reached the town, and it was fairly empty. Doesn't seem walker infested to me, I thought. We walked down to the center of the small rural town, and examined each direction. The town was lined with old stores and clearly was out of use even before the walkers took over.

     "Hey, look at this!" Noah called me over, as he was examining the exterior of one of the shops. "Fresh milk for seventy-five cents? This place must be old as dirt." He giggled.

     "I like it." I smiled. "It reminded me of the town near our farm."

     "My dad would have loved it." He started, "He used to go crazy over anything old. He loved anything 'historical'" He mocked.

     "My daddy too." I smiled and grabbed his arm with my bad hand.

     "Damnit! I forgot." I flinched from the pain and grabbed my left wrist with my right hand.

     "We need to rebandage it, there's a pharmacy across the street." He said as he pulled me across the road.

     We entered the pharmacy,  suprisingly,  it was walker free. I sat on the check out counter, by the register, and waited for Noah to find gauze for my wrist.

     "We could take this money and go! I bet the clerk isn't around!" I laughed, as i looked into the register filled with money.

     "Next thing you, we'll be robbing banks, stealing candy from babies." He laughed from across the store.

     "Judith better watch out!" I giggled.

     Noah returned with some gauze and began wrapping my fractured wrist.

     "This'll do until we get back." He looked at me and said.

     "Thank you..." I looked into his eyes. We looked at eachother for a while, for a second i thought he was going to kiss me, but he slowly returned to the aisles of the pharmacy.

     "We could use these meds." He yelled, "They'll thank us for it." He assured me.

     BOP! BOP! BOP!