Chapter 16: Awakening

I lay there on the roof, dazed at the events that just unfolded. I hear nothing but the sounds of walkers gorging themselves below me. My vision grew blurry as I watched the clouds above me dance through the sky.

     "Beth! Wake up!" I heard a familiar voice call out.

     "What?" I whispered, incapable to speak.

     "Supper's ready, get daddy and come eat." I heard Maggie's voice.

     "What are you-" I sit up in my bed. My bed. I look around my room, and quickly hop out of bed.

     "Beth! Come on now!" I heard Maggie yell from downstairs.

     This can't be happening. Was it all a dream?  Who were those people? I quickly ran down the stairs and greeted Maggie at the table.

     "Oh, I forgot to get daddy." I said, and began walking back.

     "I got it, go on and eat." Maggie said as she walked out the room.

     I gazed at all the food engulfing the table. There was chocolate cake, mashed potatoes, corn on the cob, steak, and turkey legs. Wait. As I peered at the end of the table at the group of turkey legs, something looked strange. I got up and walked around the table to take a look. As I got to the end of the table, I froze in my boots. It's was a leg, and it was daddy's.

     "MAGGIE!"  I cried out, covering my face as tears streamed down it. I let out another scream, "MAGGIE!"

     "Don't you get it Beth?" I heard a familiar voice. "Maggie looked for me, not you. She loves me, not you. Get the pattern here?" Glenn stood in the entrance to the dining room.

     "YOU'RE NOT REAL!" I yelled and threw a plate at him.

     CRACKK

     "Wake up!" I heard Daryl's voice.

     "Daryl?" I called out.

     "What are you doing out here?" He demanded to know.

     "I was looking for you!" I tried to yell, but couldn't.

     "Noah......Noah's dead." I cried out to him.

     "I know....and you let it happen!" His voice became filled with rage. "Dumb hooch is at it again! Killing everyone she pleases!"

     "It wasn't like that Daryl!" I yelled back as loud as I could.

     "Whatever, you need to pay for what you did." His voice got dark. He dragged me off the ground by my ponytail and yanked me towards the edge.

     "Say hello to Hershel for me." He whispered in my ear. Then I was hurled off the edge, plummeting to the ground.

     BOOM! BOOM!

     I awoke drenched in sweat. By body burned all over as I attempted to pull myself up. It was dusk. Shit! I fell asleep on the roof!

     BOOM!

     I looked into the horizon. Daryl's crossbow was still there, tossed into the street. Where is he?  I looked over the edge of the roof, and saw the crowd of walkers still picking through what was left of Noah. I sat on the edge, carefully checking the walkers. If anyone from the group didn't make it, they'd be over here with the rest of them. I searched through the crowd of a couple dozen walkers with no sign of the group. Thank god.