Chapter 26: On the Road

The next morning came sooner than I hoped for. I hadn't spoken to Maggie or Daryl since they left my apartment, and I wish I had a little more time to be with them. They were the most upset about my departure, and I didn't want to leave without saying goodbye. I decided to find Dary first, since I knew Maggie would drag out her goodbye until the last second. I made my way to Daryl's home. It was the first time I'd ever been to his place. He got a small place and decided to live with Carol. I've been beginning to wonder if anything was going on between the two of them, but they never show any signs.

     I walked to the end of the street, towards Daryl's small house. His house was very distinguishable from the rest. He had to have the darkest and most roughed up house, just like himself. Daryl never completely adjusted here, and he seems to hold on to old parts about himself. I hope he'll be okay when I leave.

     I made my way up his tiny porch and knocked on the door. The door swung open, revealing Daryl with an unlit cigarette in his mouth.

     "What do you want, Greene?" He seemed agitated.

     "I wanted to say goodbye before I left." I still stood in front of him.

     "Come on." He slowly backed from the door and held it open for me. I entered his home and was astounded by how clean it was. It was clearly Carol who had been taking care of the place, but I'm suprised she hadn't gotten fed up with Daryl's messiness. I made my way to the fancy blue couch that sat in the living room, and I sat on it.

     Daryl dug through his vest for a lighter, only to be interupted by Carol walking up the hall.

     "What did I tell you?" She nagged in a playful tone. "No smoking in the house." She snatched the cigarette from his mouth and placed it on the table behind her.

     "Beth.." She smiled and shuffled to me. "We're gonna miss you." She pulled me into a big hug.

     "Thank you." I smiled at her as she pulled away.

     "See you soon." She patted my shoulders and turned to Daryl. "I'm heading off to help at the nursing home."

     "Whatever." Daryl said, still upset about me leaving.

     Carol exited the home, leaving Daryl standing silently by me. I sat back down on the couch and called Daryl over with me.

     "I know you're not okay with this," I cupped my hands over his. "but I'll be okay." I looked him in the eyes to assure him that I meant it.

     "Mmh'kay" He grunted.

     "Daryl." I said in a stern voice. "I'll be fine."

     He just looked up at me, not saying a word. We stared at eachother for a second until I got up off the couch and headed to the door. I opened the door halfway and stepped through the threshold.

     "Bye Daryl." I turned back around.

     "I thought you didn't like saying bye no more." He stared blankly into the unlit fireplace that sat across the couch.

     "Well I know I'll be back." I let out, knowing that the second I stepped out the gates I'd be in danger.

     Daryl looked up at me, knowing that anything could go wrong out there. I made my way out the door and headed down the steps. I heard the roar of the door slam behind me, and I heard the flick of Daryl's lighter from the other side of the door.

     Next, I made my way to Maggie and Glenn's place. I had already stopped by earlier this morning to drop Issiac off, and now would be my last chance to say goodbye to him and my sister. Maggie had been asleep when I showed up earlier, so now I had little time left. I took a deep breath and knocked on her door. After a few seconds, Maggie appeared.You could tell by her face that she had been crying for some time now.