Chapter 28: We'll Just Take This Place

There was no time for a burial. We needed to stop the group who killed Eric from reaching Alexandria. There was a lot of resistance from Aaron, but I convinced him that it was what Eric would have wanted. I felt bad about leaving Eric to lay there, but we at least were able to stop his reanimation. He was left laying there, but at least he wouldn't become one of them.

     We walked down the road towards Alexandria. It would take hours without a vehicle, and we needed one badly. By the time we got back, all our friends could be dead. The walk was silent. Aaron was moping around and Morgan was watching us carefully, so I thought it would be best to stay quiet.

     "Where's that ATV?" Morgan questioned.

     "You were watching us the whole time?" I turned to him.

     "You think I'd wander right into the middle of the city for no reason?" He replied. "I saw you stop before going in."

     "What if we were bad people?" I questioned. "You just turned your back to us, even though you knew we were there."

     "Then I guess I'm lucky." He said.

     "They must have taken the ATV too." I answered the question.

     "This is why I have no intention of staying at your 'community'." Morgan laughed. "When you have something good, people want to take it. I told your friend Rick that when he asked me to come to the prison."

     "There might not even be a community when we get there." I sighed. "Now be quiet and walk." I got annoyed with his bickering.

     We walked for miles until we found an old van on the side of the road. Luckily, there was just enough gas to make it back to Alexandria.

I got into the passenger side, and Aaron drove. Morgan sat in the back, gun readied in case we tried anything. Aaron was still silent, and every once in a while a tear would stream down his cheek. I felt awful about what happened to Eric. I just wanted to hug Aaron and tell him it was going to be okay, but I'd rather not lie. Things will never be okay.

     We were a few miles from Alexandria when the van gave out. The engine blew, and we were left walking the rest of the way. My heart was nearly pounding out of my chest as we got closer.

     "We shouldn't have gone into Washington..." Aaron finally spoke.

"We should have just kept driving, like we were supposed to."

     "Where were we supposed to go?" I asked him.

     Aaron grew silent, and he let out a long sigh.

     "Aaron?" I asked again, wanting to know where we were supposed to go.

     "What did Douglas tell you when he gave you your new job assignment?" Aaron turned to me as he walked.

     "That I'd be able to help talk you out of any trouble you got into, why?" I asked.

     "That piece of shit..." He muttered. "He wanted you dead." He let out.

     I stopped walking and froze in the middle of the road.

     "He told me to take you away and get rid of you.." He let out. "I was going to at first, but that's not who I am. He wanted me to shoot you or let you get torn apart by roamers. That stupid prick. He's power hungry, and he always has been, even before your group showed up. You disobeyed his orders, and he didn't want you in his community anymore. I was going to let you take the RV and drive off, but that's not an option anymore. His orders made me lose Eric, and now we're going to make sure he doesn't live to see another day."