Chapter 25: The Announcement

I made it through the rest of the day without telling anyone about the scouting mission. I needed to build up my courage before I could tell my friends, especially my sister. The mission was now tomorrow, and I needed to tell everyone today. Luckily, most of the group was available this afternoon to talk. I could already see the reaction of my sister, begging me to stay. I needed this, and now that I thought of it, I was excited to go. I finally felt like I would be contributing to the community, and I wasn't going to mess up my chance.

     KNOCK! KNOCK!

     I feel like someone is always knocking on my door nowadays. I opened the front door, revealing Aaron and Eric standing in front of me.

     "Beth!" Aaron quickly walked in, followed by Eric behind him. "I just heard about your new assignment."

     "We can try to talk to Douglas." Eric placed his hands on my shoulders. "We can talk him into you staying here."

     "I'm goin' with you guys." I stated.

     "We don't need any extra people, especially-"

     "Especially what?" I cut Aaron off.

     "Just...we've done good, just the two of us, for some time now and-"

     "And now you're getting a new member." I finished his sentence.

     "Beth, It's dangerous out there." Eric warned me.

     "I know." I assured him, "I'll be okay."

     "Just this once." Aaron looked serious. "If things don't work out, I'm talking to Douglas about a new job assignment." He looked worried.

     "Fine." I replied. "Could you go get the rest of my group for me?"

     "Yeah...sure." Aaron replied. "Come on, Eric."

     The men exited the apartment and headed down the stairs. I was nearly shaking from my nerves at this point. I was scared to see the reaction of my friends, and I knew there would be resistance from my sister. I dreaded the moment my friends walked through the door, but I knew it had to be done.

     I turned around and sat on the couch, watching Issiac play with his toys. I swear he could play with those toys all day. I would miss his little smile and laughs, but I had to keep in mind this was for him.

     "You like the ball?" I smiled and asked him. He turned to me with a big smile across his face, showing all the teeth he had begun to grow. He slammed his hand on the blue rubber ball that sat in front of him, and he rolled it into my direction. I slowly rolled the ball back to him, and he bursted out in uncontrollable laughter. It was the kind of laughter that melted your heart, and I couldn't help but laugh back. These would be my last few moments of fun with him, because tomorrow I would be on my way out of Alexandria. I spent the next half hour playing with Issiac on the floor, not wanting this moment to end, but we were eventually interrupted with the sound of the door opening.

     "We're back." Aaron announced. "We got everyone, well except Sasha and Gabriel."

     "That's fine." I replied, and everyone began pouring into my tiny apartment.

     "What's going on?" Maggie asked in a concerned voice.

     "Just have a seat." I smiled, and I walked her to the couch.

     After everyone was seated or standing around the room, I began talking.

     "I got a new job assignment." I announced to the group.

     "That's great news!" Tara smiled.

     "Where is it?" Maggie looked confused.

     I cleared the lump in my throat and said, "I'll be leaving Alexandria in the morning."

     "You what?!" Maggie stood from the couch in shock.

     "You can't leave Alexandria!" Rick joined in.

     "What are you even doing?" Rosita cut in as well.

     "She'll be scouting along with us." Aaron cut in and stood in the middle of everyone. "I assure you, nothing will happen to her in our care."

     "Bullshit!" Maggie yelled at Aaron. "She just got out from being locked up, and now you're just sendin' her away from me again!"

     "It wasn't his call!" Eric stood between Maggie and Aaron. "Douglas' orders."

     "Well fuck Douglas!" Tara stood from the couch. "Who does he think he is sending you off like that!" She looked at me.

     "I'm fine." I sternly said to Maggie and Tara. "I'm fine." I repeated.

     "I'm going to his place right now." Maggie stormed to the door. "That son of a bitch!"

     "Maggie!" I grabbed her from the arm. "I'm fine!"

     WHAAAAA!

     Issiac was startled by all the yelling and movement that was going on inside the living room. I quickly scooped him off the ground and bounced him in my arms.

     "I can do this." I looked Maggie in the eye. "Besides, they promised to help support him while I was gone."

     "I can't do this." Maggie ran her hands through her hair and stormed out the door, quickly followed by Glenn.

     I turned to the rest of the group, and everyone looked dumbstruck over what would be happening tomorrow. Tara had slumped back onto the couch and looked furious.

     "That's it?" She stared directly at the door. "You're just leaving us again?"

     "It's for the best." I looked at everyone. "I know it doesn't seem like I'm capable of this, but I am. After everything I've done, I need to feel needed in this community. By doing this, maybe I can do some good. I was promised that Issiac would be supplied with everything he needed, whether or not I come back."

     "Which you will." Aaron cut in.

     "We promise nothing  will happen to her in our care." Eric assured the group. "We aren't happy with Douglas' call, not one bit, but an order is an order, and we'll keep her safe."

     The group just stared off into the room, not knowing what to do or say.

     "This is bullshit." Daryl stormed past me and left the apartment.

     "This isn't right." Rick looked up at me. "If they needed someone, why not me? Why does he want Beth to help?"

     "He said I'd be able to talk them out of trouble, if they got into any." I jumped in.

     "So could I, so could anyone here." Rick cut in. "Why her?" Rick looked at Aaron and Eric as he pointed his hand towards me.

     "We don't understand that either." Eric admitted.

     "Regardless, I'm doin' this." I insisted. "Nobody is going to stop me."

     Rick gave a slight head tilt and stood up. He made his way over to me and placed a hand on my shoulder as he headed to the door. He looked at me for a second and nodded. As Rick left the apartment, the others followed him. Tara and Rosita pulled me into giant hugs as they walked passed me, and the others wished me luck. I stood there for a moment before I closed the door.

     "Well that went slightly better than expected?" Aaron said, not too sure about himself.

     "I guess I'll see you guys tomorrow?" I said as the men passed me.

     "Tomorrow." Aaron tapped my shoulder and left, followed by Eric.

     I shut the door and looked into Issiac's eyes.

     "I'm gonna miss you."