Chapter 25

"Don't touch me!" Ethan growls.

"Hand her over!" Chris shouts.

Ethan sighs in irritation. "She's not something that should be handed over."

"What?" Chris asks.

I become more aware of where I am.

I'm in Ethan's muscular arms.

"I mean," Ethan begins sadly. "I mean she was right."

I was?

"She's not some trophy for some stupid truth or dare game I agreed to play with Zack. She's not a trophy won by fights between us."

I am right.

Chris sighs. "I guess, I just wanted to have fun tonight, but here we are. You can have her."

I feel Ethan's fists clench. "Bastard," he mumbles.

I hear footsteps, Chris's, I think, walking away.

I feel Ethan open his car door and he carefully sets me in the backseat, thinking I'm still passed out.

So I keep my eyes closed, and I don't know when I fall asleep.
***
I jolt awake and try to sit up, but something stops me.

Ethan.

I look into his deep blue eyes, bags underneath them, making him look older and tired.

I look down at my right hand, linked to Ethan's, and I meet his eyes.

"Lay back down, let me call a nurse," he says.

My hand instantly feels colder without his warmth.

He exits the room, and I realize I'm in a hospital.

What happened?

I stare at the ceiling for God knows how long until Ethan comes in, followed by a nurse.

"How're you feeling?" She asks.

"I'm okay," I mumble.

"Alright," she replies cheerfully. "Don't worry, you're not here because of an injury or anything, but you did have some sort of shock or stress that caused you to faint. Do you remember what happened?"

I shake my head, keeping my eyes on Ethan.

The nurse says something else before she exits, but I didn't hear what.

Ethan clenches his jaw.

"What time is it?" I ask.

Ethan pulls out his phone. "3:27am."

I gasp. "My mom! She must be worried sick! Ethan this is all your fault!" I shout angrily, getting off the bed and walking towards the door.

Ethan grabs hold of my arm. "My fault?"

"Yes, your fault. I swear, Ethan, if you hadn't shown up I wouldn't be here in the first place!"

"Because Chris is so much better," Ethan snorts.

"What if he is?" I challenge.

Ethan clenches his jaw and looks down. "If he were, he'd be here right now."

I bite the inside of my cheek.

Damn, he got me.

"I want to go home." I declare.

Ethan places his hand on my shoulder.

I shrug it off.

He sighs.

"Catherine, about what you said... You're right, and I'm sorry."

I sigh.

"Sorry can't return the missing piece I lost," I mumble, and walk out to his car.
***
I sit down on the couch of my living room, listening as Ethan explains to my mom why I'm here so late.

She doesn't look like she believes it, but thankfully, Ethan has a note from the doctor, and my mother gives up and walks back upstairs.

"Walk him out, Cathy," she instructs.

"He can find his way," I reply.

My mother gives me the stare.

I reluctantly stand up and walk with Ethan outside to his car.

"Thanks," I mumble.

Ethan looks at me, his eyes piercing into mine.

"You don't have to thank me."

I look down at my converse.

He walks closer to me and lifts up my chin.

"I love you. I love you more than I have ever loved anyone in my life. Why can't you just accept that?"

Oh my God Catherine are you seriously going to cry again? Idiot.

"I can't accept it, if its not true."

"Catherine," Ethan says desperately. "If it weren't true, I wouldn't be here begging you."

"Ethan, don't," I start to back away.

"Don't fight it Cath," he whispers.

He places his hands on my upper arms and pulls me to him, so close our foreheads touch.

His eyes are closed, and so are mine.

"I can't do this," I whisper.

Ethan shakes his head. "That has nothing to do with it."

His lips brush against mine.

My hands are on his chest.

He leans in that extra millimeter.

I pull away, right before he kisses me. "Goodnight, Ethan."

I walk back to my house without looking back.

"I'll be waiting for you!" Ethan shouts. "Tomorrow. At 3pm in the clearing where I first told you I loved you. If you don't show up...I'll know. And... and I won't bother you again."

My eyes sting and I slam the door shut.

Goodbye, Ethan.

*******************************

I know this isn't the best chapter, but it is necessary for everything I have planned for you guys *evil laugh*

Also, THANK YOU GUYS FOR 1k!!!! I never expected to get here but as long as you guys want me to stick around, I'll keep writing!

-Isabel