Chapter 5

" So we do this at your house?" I ask Ethan.

I didn't know how in the world we were going to do this stupid project.

"No." He says firmly.

I stay silent, staring at him.

"How about we talk about this at Starbucks?" He smiles weakly.

This dude has issues.

"Okay," I agree.

He looks at my broken arm, opens his mouth, like he's about to say something, but then closes it again. I shift uncomfortably in my seat.

"So who's going to watch the child first?" I ask.

"You." He smirks.

I roll my eyes, and doodle on my notebook until the bell rings, signaling everyone to go home.

"Are you coming?" Asks Ethan, already walking towards the door.

I stare at him blankly.

"Where?" I ask him.

"To Mars."

"What?"

"To Starbucks, genius."

I get up and walk with him to his car. it's a really nice blue color. I don't know about cars, so I wouldn't be able to tell you, but you can ask me about books.

"We just have to go to my house. I need to get something." Ethan informs me.

"Alright." I respond.
***

We arrive at his house, the same one I visited on Saturday, and Ethan gets off and goes into the house.

He's gone for a few minutes, so I turn on the radio. I don't notice he's back until he slams the car door shut.

"You okay?" I ask.

His eyes are red, and his hands are clenched on the steering wheel.

"Yeah," he whispers.

The rest of the drive is really awkward. It begins to rain, and that's all the noise that fills the silence.

After we order our coffee, we sit down at a table in the back. To my surprise, Starbucks is pretty empty today.
Ethan sits across from me.

Silence.

I look down at my sneakers.

"What happened to your face?"

I look up, confused. Is he calling me ugly or something?

"And your arm," he adds.

I look at my arm, then I remember the scar across my cheek.

"I'll tell you," I say, already fighting back tears from the memory. "If you tell me what happened to your wrist."

"I give you my word," he says.

"And what's that good for?"

"It depends." He answers.
I sigh.

"On Friday," I begin. "My parents... Had an argument. My dad left the house, and..."

I take a deep breath.

"On Sunday, yesterday, my dad was driving. He was drunk. We crashed. This happened. My dad is okay, but..."

My throat tightens.

"You don't have to..." Ethan says.

I shake my head. "I'm doing this for me, too. I need to talk about it. I-"
My voice breaks, and Ethan grasps my hand reassuringly, sending a shiver down my spine.

"My sister. She's... she's in a coma."
Ethan comes and sits next to me, pulling me into his arms. He's warm and his grasp makes me feel better.
Then I realize how weird this is and pull away. wiping the tears from my cheeks.

"What about your wrist?" I ask him.
Just then, the Starbucks worker calls out my name, meaning my coffee is ready.

Great timing.

Ethan goes to get our coffees and sits down again.

"So,the project," he begins. " How does this work?"

"Well, we get the doll tomorrow, right? I'll take care of it the first week. And you get the second."

Ethan nods.

We drink the rest of our drinks in very awkward silence.
***

"And so I'm stuck taking care of a doll with a very confusing guy," I tell Lily's sleeping body.

It's Tuesday, and I started taking care of the extremely annoying doll. I convinced Ethan to take her today, the doll is a girl apparently, so I could visit Lily.

The weird thing is, that time isn't helping me heal.

Everyday that I wake up, Lily's absence stings like a fresh wound.

"Dad hasn't talked to us. Mom misses you a lot and so do I. She's been having trouble keeping things organized around the house, and I can't do much with my broken arm."

I sit there, staring at her, hoping she responds.
Only she doesn't.

***
I walk up Ethan's driveway. I have to pick up the doll since it's my turn to care for it, or her. I'm confused as to what I should call it.

I ring the doorbell, and when it opens I have to look down.
"Hi," says a little girl. She looks about 4.

"Hello..." I respond. "Is Ethan home?"

The little girl nods. "He's with my mommy. She's sick."

Ethan comes up behind her, and picks her up in a bear hug. The little girl squeals and giggles.

Well this is different.

"Go with mom, alright Melanie?"

The little girl, his sister I guess, nods and runs up the stairs and out of sight.

"You're here for the doll?"

"Yeah," I respond.

"Come in, let me get it."

He leads me into the house, and I sit on the couch.

Ethan comes back with the sleeping doll.

"Don't wake her-it. Don't wake it. I nearly threw it at the wall to get it to stop crying and go to sleep."

I smile and nod. Then I remember what Melanie said.

"Is your mom okay?" I ask.

Ethan shakes his head, but doesn't say anything else.

We stay there in the usual silence that fills around us.

"I'll just.. Umm... Go now."

"There's a soccer game tomorrow at school."

I nod.

"I'd like it if you came."

I smile. A real smile, for the first time since the accident.

"I wouldn't miss it," I say, and walk out the door.