Chapter 2

"What're you doing?" Asks my friend Carly over the phone.

"Drinking my Starbucks and fangirling about Percabeth. What I do every Saturday night, Carls." I respond.

"Why don't you come to a party with me? Please, you got to cheer up. Distract yourself. Who knows, you might even find someone special," she taunts. I can feel her wriggling her eyebrows all the way from here.

"Please," I say sarcastically."I doubt I'll find someone who can sit down with me for ages watching Harry Potter and date me at the same time. Plus, I'm not in the party mood."

"Well get in one. Because I'm outside your door right now and the party starts in an hour. I'll help you look decent."

The doorbell rang. This girl doesn't lie."Come on! We don't have time!"

"I haven't even asked my mom for permission yet, Carls," I point out.

"What's your mom's maiden name?" She asks me.

"It's Hazel Baker, why?"

"Hi Mrs. Baker!" She calls out. "Can Catherine come to a party with me?"

In a count of three, my mother walks into the living room. She eyes me warily and hesitates. Then looks at Carly and smiles weakly.

"Hello, Carly."

"Hello," Beams Carls.

"Cathy, you may go but only if you promise to be back by 11."
I groaned. I don't even want to go.

"She does," Carls assured my mom.

My mom sighed again.

"It's okay, then, I guess. Just don't do anything stupid, got it?" Mom tells me.

That was way too easy. Maybe my mom was just to depressed to argue. Maybe I should lighten up. Lily would be okay with mom here.

"Yes ma'am." Carls beams once again and almost literally drags me upstairs.

"You have so many cute dresses! Why don't you wear them?" She asks.

"Because school isn't the place for dresses. It's the place for skinny jeans and a t-shirt," I tell her matter-of-factly.

She rolls her eyes and pulls out a really nice light pink dress that matches my dark brown wavy hair and green eyes pretty well. It's slim at the bust and puffs out a little under that. It stops just a bit above the knee, so I won't look like a hooker.

"Put it on," Carly demands.

This time, I don't hesitate or argue. I actually like this dress and it brightened my mood a bit. I take the dress from her, change in the bathroom, and when I come out, Carly is holding up a pair of nude colored shoes.

"Bruh. I'm so not wearing those. But.....let's compromise," I say, holding up my faithful pair of black converse.

"Bruh," she mimics me. "No."

After like 700 bruhs later, I won the argument and slipped on my converse.

"Okay, let's go then." I say.

"Are you crazy?" Asks Carly, a horrified expression on her face.

"What? Why?" I ask, suddenly self-conscious. " I put the dress on right this time and-"

"No, silly. Look at your hair! And you don't have one bit of make up on! This is Ethan Chase hosting the party, you need pizazz!!!"

"Ethan? As in Star Soccer player who every girl wants, Ethan? How'd you get invited? Plus isn't he like a cocky bastard?" I ask.