Chapter 27

"WAKE UP LAZY BUTT IT'S CHRISTMAS!!!" Lily giggles, jumping on my bed.

I sit up lazily and rub my eyes.

"What?" I ask, confused.

My eyes widen with realization. "It's Christmas!"

I jump out of bed and run down stairs to the tree, where Will, Ellie, and Lily are waiting to attack their gifts.

"Wait let me record," Says aunt Jane, fumbling with her camera.

"Alright, you can open them now," my mom says.

I tear at wrapping paper and boxes.

Books, clothes,and gift cards from relatives who didn't celebrate with us this year.

The books are ones I've been dying to read, the clothes are so fashionable I don't even think I can pull them off, and the gift cards vary from Starbucks to Target.

I smile happily and watch as the others open their gifts.

"OH MY GOD THE DOLL HOUSE I'VE BEEN WANTING!" Lily screams.

The buzz of excitement lingers in the air, chatters and conversations held out about what we received.

Ellie is of opening yet another Barbie doll, and Will is grinning over his brand new video game console, fumbling with the wires, trying to connect it.

Dork, I think.

Everyone else is still unwrapping, so I organize my gifts and sit next to my aunt to help her record and take pictures to "capture the moments".

"Cath, would you mind going out to buy some coffee?" Mom asks.

I frown. "What's wrong with the coffee we have here?"

A smile plays on my mother's face. "It's not a Starbucks gingerbread latte."

I roll my eyes and stand up to get the car keys. "Be back in 15!"

"My wallet is in the car!" My mother calls.

I get in the car and turn it on, and as I back out of the driveway, I notice a small silver box on the bush on the left side of the house.

I frown and exit the car to look at it. It's freezing, which means it was probably out here all night.

Maybe mom accidentally left it out here.

I pick it up and search the box for a name or something, and I do find one.

From:
To: Cath

I stare at it, not sure what to make of it.

Do I open it? Do I want to open it?

I walk back to car and sit down.

I lift the lid of the box to reveal the most beautiful necklace I've ever seen, a sparkly, silver chain, with a pink and sliver heart charm at the end.

Only there was only half a heart.

Which means someone else has the other half.

I roll my eyes and place the necklace back in its box and start the car again, driving out of the house.
***
The rest of vacation went by pretty fast, probably because of all the celebrations and Will's crooked grins and dirty jokes.

Aunt Jane announced that they would be moving in with us on Christmas morning, which was, while wonderful, shocking to everyone except my mom.

New Year's was pretty boring.