Chapter 12

I burst through the hospital doors.

Melanie is in Ethan's arms, but one of his is holding mine.

In another moment, I might've been happy or excited, but right now I'm just thankful to know I'm not alone.

"Lily Archer," I tell the nurse lady.

"Are you a family member?" She asks.

"Yeah, I'm her sister," I say desperately.

Ethan squeezes my hand reassuringly.

I look up at him. His jaw is clenched, and his blue eyes look alarmed.

"Right up to the 8th floor, your mom should be there, in the waiting room."

I nod and walk to the elevator, Ethan and Mel in tow.

"Mom!" I call to her.

She stands up to hug me, but my hand is still linked to Ethan's.

His face is blushing, and he lets go of my hand.

Now my mom hugs me. Her face is red and her eyes are too. She's been crying.

"I was with her, and then she moved her hand, I got all excited and called the doctor. She kept on moving slightly, her hands, her legs, until," my mother sniffles. "She began to tremble. It started of slow, but then it fastened and she started to kind of jump, and, and," my mother breaks down. "I can't do this."

"May I see her?" I ask my mom.

My mother shakes her head. "They're trying to figure out what's wrong with her, and they're not allowing visitors."

I sigh, and hug my mother.

"You should go talk to your friend there," she says, nodding at Ethan.

I nod and walk towards him.

"I would ask if you were okay, but I feel like that's the most illogical question in the world," he says.

"I'm not okay," I say. "If anything happens to Lily-"

Ethan pulls me into a hug.

"Hey," he says, lifting my chin up. "She's going to be alright."

I nod, and he wipes a tear off my cheek.

I didn't even know I was crying.

Melanie hugs me. "Don't cry," she pleads. "I have some pixie dust, will that make you feel better?" She reaches into her pocket.

"No! I mean, no Mel. The pixie dust should be saved for a better time, okay?"

She nods.

Ethan smiles weakly. "I should take her home. The hospital brings back awful memories. I'll come back in a bit."

I nod, and he hugs me again.

This time, butterflies begin to fly around my stomach.

He walks off towards the elevator, and I sit next to my mom. She hugs me tight.

"How'd we end up like this?" She asks, but I feel like it's to herself instead of me.

What feels like hours later, a doctor comes.

"Family members of Lily Archer?" He calls out.

My mother stands up instantly, and I follow her.

"I'm her mother," she says.

"And I'm her sister," I add.

"Follow me please, Lily wants to see you."